Pleasantly surprised

AK-47

Nebraska fans might be surprised by the general good hospitality in Madison, (I encourage you all to visit the Farmer's Market around the Capitol Square on Saturday morning and walk down State Street,) As has been stated in this string, near the stadium there may also be some foolish behavior by random idiots. You should be prepared for some pretty obscene shirts on the students, including "F__K Nebraska". You also see some shirts that say "Eat Sh_t" on the front and "F__K You" on the back. That is in reference to one of their "chants" during the game. It is not directed at the opposing team, but is directed at themselves. Section 0 is in the middle of the student section, and the old chant used to be the other student sections J, K, L, M, N and P all chanting "0 Sucks" and the section 0 folks chanting "N Sucks P." Well, over the lasts several years it has "evolved" into "Eat Sh_t, - F__k You". It is an embarrassing cheer for the rest of us and the university has tried to dissuade them, including a new comically pathetic attempt to put up an add on the video screen encouraging the students with the same for letters, ES-FU, representing the phrase "Every Student Friendly United" or something like that. It's a great student section, but when you combine that many kids in a group mentality and just a bit of alcohol, well, things like ES-FU happen. Don't be concerned about attending the outdoor tailgates, or bars or any of that. You'll be treated well, and the vendors are happy to take your money. Looking forward to seeing the Big Red/Black horde invading Madison on Saturday. (A good place to go Friday night is the terrace on the lake behind the Memorial Union on Langdon St, where there is always music and a great mix of students and others, and they many varieties of local microbrews as well as the local fare (bratwurst.) There is also a local bar near the stadium, the Regent St. Retreat at 1206 Regent St., hosting a band from Lincoln; the Sidetrack Band. they'll be there Friday night and Saturday at noon. Safe and enjoyable travels to you all, but I have to say, Go Bucky!!"

Fans do need to deluge Delaney for what is his only mistake in putting Wisconsin (and, subsequently, Michigan) in the wrong division. If there's ever expansion to 14 teams, Wisconsin fans and Alvarez need to push hard to be put in our division--I could see a yearly NU/Wisky tilt becoming just as big as the NU/OU tilt back in the day.

I'm even older than BIS, so I savor our football and basketball successes (and hockey, but I grew up with good hockey) - and don't take it for granted.

With regard to the Divisions, you might like this suggestion from a some other B1G school's fan on division names:

Where is Wisconsin?

Why is Wisconsin here?

Wisconsin s/b in the West (I refuse to use the "L" words) and everyone knows it.

Hope you all have a great time in Madison!

Nebraska fans might be surprised by the general good hospitality in Madison, (I encourage you all to visit the Farmer's Market around the Capitol Square on Saturday morning and walk down State Street,) As has been stated in this string, near the stadium there may also be some foolish behavior by random idiots. You should be prepared for some pretty obscene shirts on the students, including "F__K Nebraska". You also see some shirts that say "Eat Sh_t" on the front and "F__K You" on the back. That is in reference to one of their "chants" during the game. It is not directed at the opposing team, but is directed at themselves. Section 0 is in the middle of the student section, and the old chant used to be the other student sections J, K, L, M, N and P all chanting "0 Sucks" and the section 0 folks chanting "N Sucks P." Well, over the lasts several years it has "evolved" into "Eat Sh_t, - F__k You". It is an embarrassing cheer for the rest of us and the university has tried to dissuade them, including a new comically pathetic attempt to put up an add on the video screen encouraging the students with the same for letters, ES-FU, representing the phrase "Every Student Friendly United" or something like that. It's a great student section, but when you combine that many kids in a group mentality and just a bit of alcohol, well, things like ES-FU happen. Don't be concerned about attending the outdoor tailgates, or bars or any of that. You'll be treated well, and the vendors are happy to take your money. Looking forward to seeing the Big Red/Black horde invading Madison on Saturday. (A good place to go Friday night is the terrace on the lake behind the Memorial Union on Langdon St, where there is always music and a great mix of students and others, and they many varieties of local microbrews as well as the local fare (bratwurst.) There is also a local bar near the stadium, the Regent St. Retreat at 1206 Regent St., hosting a band from Lincoln; the Sidetrack Band. they'll be there Friday night and Saturday at noon. Safe and enjoyable travels to you all, but I have to say, Go Bucky!!"

I've always been impressed by Badger fans and Wisconsin people in general. Maybe it's just because I relate well to that area and have always liked the Packers, Brats, cheese, and beer. Students will be students- doesn't much matter where you go. Soem off color cheers or T-Shirts is no big deal. I would love to be going to this game and my least concern would be being treated poorly. Travelling football fans will likely run into a few a-holes wherever they go. I am sure Madison is no different in that regard than Lincoln. My one exception is Boulder and the Buffs. Guaranteed to run into a whole slew of a-holes there.

Agreed, JJHusker,

I've been to every Big 10 venue and a lot of other stadiums watching the Badgers and the worst experience by far was at Colorado. Those fans were in your face before during and after the game. A bunch or real jags. And this was after they beat us pretty badly.

In the Big 10, my favorites to visit are Ohio State (similar pregame setup to Madison) and Penn State (huge tailgate area.) Iowa should be good when Nebraska comes to town, Michigan has very little atmosphere around the stadium, even though it's the "Big House." The rest are OK, with Northwestern having the feel of an overgrown high school stadium.

impressed by Badger fans and Wisconsin people in general. Maybe it's just because I relate well to that area and have always liked the Packers, Brats, cheese, and beer. Students will be students- doesn't much matter where you go. Soem off color cheers or T-Shirts is no big deal. I would love to be going to this game and my least concern would be being treated poorly. Travelling football fans will likely run into a few a-holes wherever they go. I am sure Madison is no different in that regard than Lincoln. My one exception is Boulder and the Buffs. Guaranteed to run into a whole slew of a-holes there.

You know, one of the most obvious things that opens a window to the Wisconsin psyche is the foam cheeshead itself. Minnesotans & Illinoisians meant to use that term in a derogatory way (as in "you f'in' cheeseheads!") toward us and we just decided to make it into both a prideful & self-deprecating joke. It's more of a Packer thing than UW, and it really is somewhat against etiquette to use the cheesehead at UW games, but the point is we like to have a little fun, even if it's at our own expense. In the bad old days, we lost a game 55-2 to MSU -- our chant at the end of the game? "WE SCORED FIRST! WE SCORED FIRST!"

impressed by Badger fans and Wisconsin people in general. Maybe it's just because I relate well to that area and have always liked the Packers, Brats, cheese, and beer. Students will be students- doesn't much matter where you go. Soem off color cheers or T-Shirts is no big deal. I would love to be going to this game and my least concern would be being treated poorly. Travelling football fans will likely run into a few a-holes wherever they go. I am sure Madison is no different in that regard than Lincoln. My one exception is Boulder and the Buffs. Guaranteed to run into a whole slew of a-holes there.

You know, one of the most obvious things that opens a window to the Wisconsin psyche is the foam cheeshead itself. Minnesotans & Illinoisians meant to use that term in a derogatory way (as in "you f'in' cheeseheads!") toward us and we just decided to make it into both a prideful & self-deprecating joke. It's more of a Packer thing than UW, and it really is somewhat against etiquette to use the cheesehead at UW games, but the point is we like to have a little fun, even if it's at our own expense. In the bad old days, we lost a game 55-2 to MSU -- our chant at the end of the game? "WE SCORED FIRST! WE SCORED FIRST!"

That's funny. That's what you call making the best of a bad situation. In the "good old days" of Nebraska football, when I was a student, one of my favorite memories (albeit an alcohol fogged one-yes that would cover my college experience in total) was from sometime around 1982, we were rolling New Mexico or NM State, it was way out of hand and were ahead something like 66 or 72-0 and NM finally scores a touchdown against our 4th string. It was the loudest cheer all day in Memorial stadium.

Hey guys...just to clarify a few points on the stuff posted above. UW hockey, while incredibly popular and always leading the country in attendance does not draw more than most NHL teams..it draws more than a couple : ) And the ES/FU chant didn't come about the past several years, it's been around for over a decade. It grew out of the "tastes great/less filling" of Miller Lite commercials in the 80s. As long as they aren't being abusive toward visiting fans with it, or using it during the gameday broadcast, I don't really have a problem with it. Regardless, I hope the visitors from Nebraska have a great time. We're all proud of our university, program, madison, and the atmosphere around the games. I'll be curious to read how it compares to some of the other B12 programs.

At the Rose Bowl last year, I noticed a considerable difference between the UW and TCU fans. The UW fans were booming music and doing keg stands, while the TCU fans were a bit more proper with their nice food spreads and drinks.

Here's a link to an article by Andy Kendeigh (who should know) on the similarities and differences between Husker and Badgers fans. I think a distinguishing feature of Badger fans v. the rest of the B1G, is their willingness to make fun of themselves. The fun is more important than the ego boost (of course "It's always better when you win").Pertinent quotes:

Nebraska fans don't just expect a win each week, they demand it. They are disappointed in a season that ends without a championship. They are knowledgeable and personally invested in football.

It's not that Badgers fans are uninformed, but for most Wisconsin fans, having a good time is the top priority on game day. A good time, of course, is made easier with a victory. But it's not essential.

If Nebraska loses a game, a cloud hangs over the entire state for days and doesn't begin to lift until Thursday, when the hope of the next potential victory allows a few sunbeams to penetrate the gloom.

-------------

Badgers fans are fun-loving, good-natured, spirited and they absolutely love winning. Huskers fans are well-informed, intense, polite and they absolutely love winning.

I've seen both sides, and I can't wait for Saturday.

UW and Nebraska fans have their many similarities and differences. They are good, hard-working people who love their football. Both programs' fans respect one another, and they know what happens Saturday night will go a long way in determining who will play in the Big Ten Championship Game in December.