Our Big 12 North Chances

option football is dead. Teams know how to defend against a pure option team. A team like Nebraska should have some option plays in it's gameplan (and i believe the longer Callahan is here, the more option we will see). Teams have to be able to run and pass the ball effectively on top of option plays every once in a while

There is just too much speed these days in college football...to run the option like TO did, you have to have an Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, or Touchdown Tommie...interesting how they all came along in such a short amount of time...but those guys are really really hard to find anymore, because anyone who wants to play QB wants to play in the league, and an option style won't get that done...kids start out throwing the ball, not learning the option pitch as much, IMHO...

I'm new to this board. I've been reading it since before the ISU win. I got to experience that game first hand. Flew into Omaha and met my dad and brother and went to my second Husker game. First was the 94 Homecoming win over CU. Now that was a treat. Just being new to this board, I can already tell that I don't like formerfan. His screen name says it all. If he is a "former" fan, then leave the current fans alone and get out of here. All of this stuff is based on opinions. We have our opinions about the Huskers based on what we see and hear. former has his opinions based on how he interprets information. Nobody is going to change the others' minds, so why won't he leave. Most of us want to be positive about what is going on. Keep up the great info and posts.

GBR!

He's incorrigable and maddining most of the time but he's a good guy. Despite what he named himself he loves the Huskers as much as anyone else here. I've said it before, I may disagree with the huge majority of what he says but the board is better with him here.

If you want to hate anyone hate Benard.

Like any offense, you can produced your share of big plays if you have the bodies to do it. Osborne's power/option offense could have been referred to as ball-controlled; however, during the NC years and the '83 season, there were many big plays.

Look at USC, which runs a WCO. It produces a lot of big plays. How about that last one that sunk Notre Dame? NU lacks big plays because the OL, while getting better, is still not providing much room for our IBs. Our WRs haven't been very productive at making yards after contact. The only one who seems to be real effective at getting extra yards after the reception is Cory Ross.

It appears like Hardy has the potential to be a big play guy, but I think those earlier dropped passes has messed up his concentration on that part of his game. And Taylor's been looking more to Nunn, Swift and Mulky.

While short passes are a big part of the WCO, that's not to say this type of offense doesn't throw the deep ball. Even though I was told positive things in spring and fall practices about Taylor's ability to throw the deep ball, one of Taylor weaknesses appears to be just that. If he was better at it, you would be seeing it used more.

As the OL gets better, we continue to recruit top WRs, Lucky and Glenn gain more experience, Taylor, Beck, Freeman effectively throw the deep ball, you will see more big plays. It's not the offense; it's the players.

I don't get this notion of a "ball control" offense. Isn't every offense a ball control offense to a certain extent? I mean you can't score if you don't have the ball.

I agree with Spartness. This offense can get big plays. We left at least two on the field against Baylor. From Taylors mouth to your ears.

Usually "ball control" means long drives, eating up the clock and not turning the ball over before a score. The offense that passes a lot, particularly, those that use longer routes, typically either score quicker or turn the ball over quicker, thereby giving the ball back to the opposition with less time use on the clock. This latter scenario is not "ball control."

If a team is going up against an opponent that scores rather quickly, then their typically best chance is to use "ball control" if they can't match with a quick scoring offense.