Lost top in state recruit

This is the type of things that gets coaches fired. Please don't give me a Solich reply.

LSE's Hill to play for Texas

BY RYLY JANE HAMBLETON / Lincoln Journal Star

Matt Hill has a pretty little hook shot that will serve him well. The 6-foot-10 Lincoln Southeast senior announced Monday that he will accept a basketball scholarship from the University of Texas.

Matt Hill blocks a shot against East in 2003. (LJS File)

Hill called Texas coach Rick Barnes on Monday evening to give him the news. He also called Nebraska’s Barry Collier and Creighton coach Dana Altman to let them know of his decision.

Hill, who had a host of scholarship offers, had narrowed the field to Texas, the Cornhuskers and Creighton last week. He also had offers from Purdue, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Miami of Florida and Nevada-Reno, among others.

“I knew the last couple of days that I was going to go to Texas,” said Hill, a first-team Super-State selection last year. “I have to do what is best for me. I wanted to go to the best program at the highest level that I could. The success of their program had a lot to do with it and there are nothing but good things ahead for them.

“I love the way Texas uses their posts in the offense. They look in every time and they develop their posts well. They have the best of everything, so I will have the tools to be successful. All you have to do is work.”

Hill said the decision wasn’t easy.

“Through the recruiting process, you get to know people and consider them friends,” he said. “It’s tough telling them, ‘Thanks, but no thanks.’ I really have a great deal of respect for both Creighton and Nebraska and all the people I dealt with at both places.”

Hill was an imposing presence in the middle for Southeast and it changed the way teams attacked the Knights. He shot 68 percent from the field, averaging 19.4 points a game. He blocked 85 shots (3.7 per game), averaged 10.7 rebounds and also had 21 assists.

“Matt blocked a lot of shots and he got better at not just swatting but controlling them,” said Southeast coach Jeff Smith. “And even if he doesn’t get a hand on the ball, his presence changes a lot of shots.

“We worked hard to get the ball in to him and he knew what to do with it.”

Hill said he liked the opportunities that are likely with the Longhorns.

“They have a senior post (Connor Atchley) and their sophomore post is projected to leave for the NBA,” Hill said. “So it looks like younger guys will have a chance to come in and play.

“They’re bringing in another post, Dexter Pittman from the Houston area. But I won’t go in and be scared.”

Hill said he plans to sign with the Longhorns in November during the early signing period.

“I wanted to get this taken care of before the season. From now on, I am focusing on winning a state championship for Lincoln Southeast,” he said. “You can’t think about recruiting or what others think of you.”

Reach Ryly Jane Hambleton at 473-7314 or rhambleton@journalstar.com

I got a chance to see Hill play last year againt creighton prep and he's really nothing special. Other than his size I don't know what people see in him. He wasn't very agressive at all and he got out rebounded several times.

I agree, zach potter ate him up in the game i watched. I'm suprised he's a 4 star. Many are saying he's the best big man from nebraska since hoppen, I'd be very suprised if he's anything near rich king. I see more of tj pugh possibly. Not a huge loss. Would be nice to have but nothing great as far as loss. Collier is recruiting real well lately so im not worried.

I got a chance to see Hill play last year againt creighton prep and he's really nothing special.  Other than his size I don't know what people see in him.  He wasn't very agressive at all and he got out rebounded several times.

I agree, zach potter ate him up in the game i watched. I'm suprised he's a 4 star. Many are saying he's the best big man from nebraska since hoppen, I'd be very suprised if he's anything near rich king. I see more of tj pugh possibly. Not a huge loss. Would be nice to have but nothing great as far as loss. Collier is recruiting real well lately so im not worried.

Got to agree here, we didn't put the effort into this kid that we did into Toni Soda. I think we got the better big man, but it's always salt in the wound when the best kid on the corner goes to play for a rival.