From Penn State Fan

Now Mr. Paterno was only indicated in having knowledge of the 2002 incident. I hope that nobody disagrees that he did not take appropriate action. Mr. Paterno is not the only one to blame. According to testimony, Mr. Paterno is one of the lowest people in this that you could blame. What gets me is he had a chance to do something noble and nail that POS, but instead passed the buck (which he might have done in case he was wrong...which there would have been major repercussions legally if Mr. Paterno was). I do not know what the law in Pennsylvania is on reporting this, since Mr. Paterno reported it to his superiors...I will look into that and see what I can find.

Don't mistake me for condoning anything that Mr. Paterno did or failed to do. I believe that he was the head coach and knew more then what is in that grand jury report...he needs to be subpoenaed and the authorites need to find out what he actually knew. They need facts to support theories and not theories to support facts, which the general public is guilty of in a lot of cases.

http://www.reuters.c...E7A86WS20111109

This is a link that describes the law at the time. The law was changed in 2007. "A subordinate can discharge his mandatory reporting responsibility by reporting to his boss." So Mr. Paterno did fulfill his legal obligation...moral obligation is a whole different subject. I have no problem with him getting fired and my post was mostly about what Mr. Paterno did know. According to his grand jury report he was never made aware of the specifics of what happened according to the GA. He only found out when he read the grand jury report.

"As my grand jury testimony stated," Joe Paterno said in the statement, "I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators."

Mr. Paterno wasn't charged and the grand jury report didn't implicate him in any wrongdoing. At this point in time, we only know that he was informed of the 2002 incident. Yes, he should have done A LOT (I repeat A LOT) more and morally I don't know how someone doesn't do more.

Like I said I have no problem with his firing. He did do something and not nothing, but it was the least amount possible.

I agree and I have gone into this more then I would have liked to. I am passionate about the law and being innocent until proven guilty. As Mr. Paterno did fulfill his legal obligation...it doesn't mean we have to like the law and I am glad that PA got it changed in 2007. The authorities need evidence that Mr. Paterno knew more, but until then he is innocent. If Mr. Paterno wanted to he could get a good lawyer and sue the state for wrongful termination. Either way it makes me sick and I am done talking about it...I would be going after everyone involved if I was the attorney general.

Calm down.

People get fired for these kinds of things all the time. Failure to uphold your employer's moral codes, whatever they may be, are grounds for termination. Without looking specifically at Paterno's contract, I'm guessing there was a morality clause. Again, this is a very common thing. The BoT likely told Joe that while he had done "the legal minimum" he did not uphold his obligations to the children, and they fired him.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard of someone getting fired for something like this, I could go out to a really nice dinner. With friends. And I'd buy. And I'd leave a good tip.

If you're not intending to defend Paterno, lines like this are poorly chosen: "The thing I can't stand is you guys all thing you are judge, jury, and F#$$%% executioner." It's simple common sense to see why Paterno was fired. It is not uncommon. Going on and on and on about "fulfilled his legal obligation" is irrelevant to why he got fired, but it does appear that you are defending the man.

Yeah it sure looks like I was defending him :sarcasm . I was asking for prudence in this situation. Get all of the facts, then make an informed decision. But you have your head stuck so far up your ass you can't even see what I am talking about. While I am at it lets just go for a ban. I think quite a few of you on this board are some of the dumbest f'ing people on the planet. Some of you think you are the greatest fans in the world, but you are pretty pathetic pieces of sh#t. And Knapplc, you are probably the biggest blowhard I have ever seen. You are always right, but the funny thing is you are just a pathetic fool. Enhance, landlord, huskerjock, etc are a$$hole$. Stumpy in this thread is a retard. Now ban this account and go f#*k yourselves.

Now Mr. Paterno was only indicated in having knowledge of the 2002 incident. I hope that nobody disagrees that he did not take appropriate action. Mr. Paterno is not the only one to blame. According to testimony, Mr. Paterno is one of the lowest people in this that you could blame. What gets me is he had a chance to do something noble and nail that POS, but instead passed the buck (which he might have done in case he was wrong...which there would have been major repercussions legally if Mr. Paterno was). I do not know what the law in Pennsylvania is on reporting this, since Mr. Paterno reported it to his superiors...I will look into that and see what I can find.

Don't mistake me for condoning anything that Mr. Paterno did or failed to do. I believe that he was the head coach and knew more then what is in that grand jury report...he needs to be subpoenaed and the authorites need to find out what he actually knew. They need facts to support theories and not theories to support facts, which the general public is guilty of in a lot of cases.

This is a link that describes the law at the time. The law was changed in 2007. "A subordinate can discharge his mandatory reporting responsibility by reporting to his boss." So Mr. Paterno did fulfill his legal obligation...moral obligation is a whole different subject. I have no problem with him getting fired and my post was mostly about what Mr. Paterno did know. According to his grand jury report he was never made aware of the specifics of what happened according to the GA. He only found out when he read the grand jury report.

"As my grand jury testimony stated," Joe Paterno said in the statement, "I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators."

Mr. Paterno wasn't charged and the grand jury report didn't implicate him in any wrongdoing. At this point in time, we only know that he was informed of the 2002 incident. Yes, he should have done A LOT (I repeat A LOT) more and morally I don't know how someone doesn't do more.

Like I said I have no problem with his firing. He did do something and not nothing, but it was the least amount possible.

I agree and I have gone into this more then I would have liked to. I am passionate about the law and being innocent until proven guilty. As Mr. Paterno did fulfill his legal obligation...it doesn't mean we have to like the law and I am glad that PA got it changed in 2007. The authorities need evidence that Mr. Paterno knew more, but until then he is innocent. If Mr. Paterno wanted to he could get a good lawyer and sue the state for wrongful termination. Either way it makes me sick and I am done talking about it...I would be going after everyone involved if I was the attorney general.

Calm down.

People get fired for these kinds of things all the time. Failure to uphold your employer's moral codes, whatever they may be, are grounds for termination. Without looking specifically at Paterno's contract, I'm guessing there was a morality clause. Again, this is a very common thing. The BoT likely told Joe that while he had done "the legal minimum" he did not uphold his obligations to the children, and they fired him.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard of someone getting fired for something like this, I could go out to a really nice dinner. With friends. And I'd buy. And I'd leave a good tip.

If you're not intending to defend Paterno, lines like this are poorly chosen: "The thing I can't stand is you guys all thing you are judge, jury, and F#$$%% executioner." It's simple common sense to see why Paterno was fired. It is not uncommon. Going on and on and on about "fulfilled his legal obligation" is irrelevant to why he got fired, but it does appear that you are defending the man.

Yeah it sure looks like I was defending him :sarcasm . I was asking for prudence in this situation. Get all of the facts, then make an informed decision. But you have your head stuck so far up your ass you can't even see what I am talking about. While I am at it lets just go for a ban. I think quite a few of you on this board are some of the dumbest f'ing people on the planet. Some of you think you are the greatest fans in the world, but you are pretty pathetic pieces of sh#t. And Knapplc, you are probably the biggest blowhard I have ever seen. You are always right, but the funny thing is you are just a pathetic fool. Enhance, landlord, huskerjock, etc are a$$hole$. Stumpy in this thread is a retard. Now ban this account and go f#*k yourselves.

Missed your nap again, right?

Calm down.

We have a jumper!

PSU has always been classy, except for that diss on Pittsburgh residents. Actually, who cares about the residents; only the Steelers matter! :)

[edit] I feel bad about JoePa - he's a classy guy--still culpable, but an honest mistake (IMO, I don't know exactly what happened.)

PSU overall is still classy, the whiteout at the stadium kicks ass, and I hope it looks like blood flowing with all the Husker fans in attendance! Heh

It is painfully apparent that you don't have the foggiest idea what happened or there is no way you could say he's a classy guy that made an honest mistake. Please go to some of the other threads here, find a link to the grand jury report, read it, and then see if you still feel he is such a classy guy. He could've and should've taken action that would have prevented further harm to an untold number of other children. What he did instead cannot even be classified as human let alone an honest mistake. Save your pity for the young boys who were harmed, their parents, and all of the innocent PSU fans, players, and students who will ultimately be paying the price for what some of these soulless individuals did or failed to do.

its the guys opinion and frankly a valid opinion. you, him, nor I have any way of knowing what actually happened at all and yes ive read the report. im not saying that joe is innocent but i cant say that he is guilty without a shred of doubt either. innocent until PROVEN guilty as they say. imo the heat should definitely be on sandusky but i question whether joe should have been fired considering that he did everything that was required to do from his employer. it doesnt matter that it was immoral and wrong, the fact that he met the guidelines for his job at that particular point in time. jmo.

Are you freaking kidding me?? What if it was your son. Would you feel the same way?? So you think he did everything he should have? You don't think calling 911 first, then reporting it to his boss would have been the better way?

If you truely believe what you wrote, you are a very sad person!

Calm down.

What a phsyco....... Next thing you'll tell us is that JoePa should get another chance. Are you donating to the save Sandusky fund also?