GOP raising our taxes. Happy holidays!

The GOP just don't know how to get their message out so the dems who are great at propaganda are making points. First it is going to cost us alot more if they sign this bill because it extends unemployment benefits also. I think it might have passed the house if it was just about the payroll tax. This bill will cost the taxpayers a QUARTER OF A TRILLION DOLLARS (that is nuts). I think the house should compromise and go for less months of a payroll tax but they can't extend unemployment much more than it is today. :wasted

The GOP just don't know how to get their message out so the dems who are great at propaganda are making points. First it is going to cost us alot more if they sign this bill because it extends unemployment benefits also. I think it might have passed the house if it was just about the payroll tax. This bill will cost the taxpayers a QUARTER OF A TRILLION DOLLARS (that is nuts). I think the house should compromise and go for less months of a payroll tax but they can't extend unemployment much more than it is today. :wasted

The Democratic Party wanted JUST the payroll tax cut and they had a way to pay for it. Guess who had a problem with that?

The Democratic Party wanted JUST the payroll tax cut and they had a way to pay for it. Guess who had a problem with that?

Enlighten me I am not up on politics like you are, IS this bill just about the payroll tax? I heard they wanted to extend the unemployment benefits. And howq were they going to pay fot it? I can figure out the rest. :hmmph

Enlighten me I am not up on politics like you are, IS this bill just about the payroll tax? I heard they wanted to extend the unemployment benefits. And howq were they going to pay fot it? I can figure out the rest. :hmmph

No. This bill has many things tacked onto it that have nothing to do with the payroll tax . . . like the Keystone XL pipeline. I wonder who did that . . . ? Probably that damn Obama.

Since when do Republicans care about paying for tax cuts? That is a completely honest question. Why do they only care when the cuts primarily benefit the middle class instead of the rich?

• Fire 2

No. This bill has many things tacked onto it that have nothing to do with the payroll tax . . . like the Keystone XL pipeline. I wonder who did that . . . ? Probably that damn Obama.

Since when do Republicans care about paying for tax cuts? That is a completely honest question. Why do they only care when the cuts primarily benefit the middle class instead of the rich?

So only the pipeline is in it? So do you know how they were going to pay for it? eyeswear2allthatsholy

So only the pipeline is in it? So do you know how they were going to pay for it? eyeswear2allthatsholy

My goodness. This was only a week ago. It was in every local and national news program. You never saw it? :confucius

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/14/first-on-cnn-obama-dems-drop-millionaire-surtax-to-pay-for-payroll-tax-cut/

The proposed extension from the Senate only lasts for two months. It solves nothing. No one is voting to raise taxes. They are not voting in the hopes of getting a conference going between the Senate and House to finalize something. The Senate went home.

Instead, the House approved a separate resolution supporting a yearlong extension of both the payroll tax cut and emergency federal unemployment benefits. House Republicans are also pushing for a new, two-year "doc fix," or delay in significant scheduled pay cuts to Medicare physicians.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/20/politics/congress-payroll-tax-cut/index.html

But hell, that's sure a nice sound bite. Doesn't everyone just love politics?

The proposed extension from the Senate only lasts for two months. It solves nothing. No one is voting to raise taxes. They are not voting in the hopes of getting a conference going between the Senate and House to finalize something. The Senate went home.

Instead, the House approved a separate resolution supporting a yearlong extension of both the payroll tax cut and emergency federal unemployment benefits. House Republicans are also pushing for a new, two-year "doc fix," or delay in significant scheduled pay cuts to Medicare physicians.

http://www.cnn.com/2...-cut/index.html

But hell, that's sure a nice sound bite. Doesn't everyone just love politics?

It is how stuff seems to get done around there, last minute "Ohh crap, we better extend this while we continue to fight over it" votes. It does solve things though, it keeps a tax break going until they solve it next session.

The Republicans seem to have absolutely no ability to pick their battles. They don't stop to think about the 160 million people who just bought holiday season gifts, travel, etc that don't want to be thinking about how their taxes are going up after the holidays. Not only that but they don't even have support from their own party, who voted it through in the senate and who have been denouncing this as a complete waste of time on an already lost battle.

The Dems are absolutely right to start kicking them when they are down after they fall all over themselves like this. So what if they pass the buck for two months? they could have come back with a unified argument against it then. Instead they're now labeling themselves as the party raising taxes for 160 million people, that only actually want to see tax breaks for millionaire "job creators." Which is absolutely true anyways, but usually they try and hide it in the math better.

So it's a done deal?

Not quite. Rather telling that the Republican Party finally found a tax cut that they don't like . . . one that benefits the middle class.

As soon as a tax break would help the middle class, the Republicans do a 180 degree turn and have started to like taxes.

You post graph after graph on Bush era tax cuts being the reason we have debt problems and now you are complaining about the payroll tax cut. Which side do you want to be on?

Each tax cut is targeted toward a sector of the economy.

Bush targeted his tax cuts to mainly help the wealthy, this tax cut would have mainly benefited the middle class.

This is class warfare, and the Republicans are helping their chosen side.