All of this for a pair of shoes

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Police-called-to-Jefferson-Mall-concerning-reports-of-disorderly-crowd-waiting-for-shoe-release-136133903.html

I dont get it, why on earth would you behave this way over a pair of shoes, in fact I dont understand the whole "Black Friday" mind set as well. If I remember someone was killed at a Walmart last year when the crowds rushed into the stores... I find it shocking that people are so willing the let themselves be manipulated....

I good term for what happens is 'Panic Shopping' The shoppers are terrified they will miss out on something, so they panic and start acting like jackasses. Companies and stores will often artificially create a mindset that there might be a shortage or limited supply to intentionally drive sales.

If you take the same item at the same sale price at two different stores, one store advertises a limited time frame, like say 6 hours, the other store says 3 days, the 6 hour sale will sell more units than the 3 day sale, even though there is more time to buy it. It works this way almost every single time. People are just F'in stupid.