B1G and the Rose Bowl

phess3813

Watching these games and listening to B1G teams It sometimes sounds like most of them would rather play in the Rose Bowl then play for MNC. I have always thought that, even before we joined the B1G. I hope NU does not start looking at the Rose Bowl as their ultimate goal.

It's part of the tradition of the Big Ten, I think its slowly changing but for most of us fans that matured before the BCS era it certainly ends up being the focus of our seasons. I wouldn't say I'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the MNC but they're pretty damn close and I know to you guys it sounds messed up that anyone would say that but it is what it is. A lot of it is about having attainable goals. Getting to the National Championship is all but out of reach but for maybe 2-3 teams in the conference.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about...UW hasn't changed this sign to say "National Championship" and won't anytime soon.

2837103467_80ff63ccdc.jpg

It's part of the tradition of the Big Ten, I think its slowly changing but for most of us fans that matured before the BCS era it certainly ends up being the focus of our seasons. I wouldn't say I'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the MNC but they're pretty damn close and I know to you guys it sounds messed up that anyone would say that but it is what it is. A lot of it is about having attainable goals. Getting to the National Championship is all but out of reach but for maybe 2-3 teams in the conference.

Nebraskans are familiar with this, in a way. The Orange Bowl used to mean the same thing for Nebraskans. Granted, at the time, it had possible championship implications unlike the way today's championship works.

Kind of interesting angle to today's game if anyone cares...the Governors of Oregon and Wisconsin have made a friendly wager.

"Toss in politics, if you’d like: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is a Republican, and Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber, a Democrat.

Walker, a first-term governor putting aside recall rumblings against him back home to concentrate on play calling tonight, is promising a Badger win. In the case of a loss, however, he will send Kitzhaber these goodies: Leinenkugel's beer, Wisconsin cheese, a package of Andes mints produced in Walker's hometown of Delevan, and a bottle of blushing rose wine from Wollerscheim Winery in Prairie du Sac.

If the Ducks quack, third-term Gov. Kitzhaber will cough up a similar list of Oregon products, including craft beers, kettle chips, hazelnuts, and smoked king salmon. "

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Rose-Bowl-Wisconsin-Oregon/2012/01/02/id/422752