dl recruiting

Hello, I have recently been comparing last yrs & this yrs dt recruits to one another, & have found that there are similarities w/ their 40 x's:

johnson 6-3, 312 - 4.80

jensen 6-4, 280 - 4.90

cryer 6-2, 270 - 4.78

dagunduro 6-2, 300 - 4.88

suh 6-5, 275 - 4.90

& then throw in campbell 4.75, brown 4.80, & mullins (who I believe will eventually visit) 4.80

w/ this trend it seems like UN & blake are going for dt w/ the speed of normal qb's - & I am not saying that UN is passing on dt's like washington (5.23) or deas (who visits 11/11) or gunn (5.20), but maybe UN & blake are focusing on speed at the dt position a lot more than purely strength

& if this true than gunn (5.20, & 2007 o central recruit) better learn how to say seppo evwaraye

Allthough 40's times usually coincide somewhat with quickness, they are not one and the same. 40 times are the most overrated recruiting tool in sports, and they are especially meaningless for defensive tackles. I am far more concerned with 10 yard dash, shuttle drill, and strength than I am with forty times. Size doesnt hurt either. I dont even look at their forty time. It could all be just a coincidence that we have picked up fast dt's, because even last year we were going after slower ones, and just didnt land them.

Hello, stuckinchicago thanks for your thoughts on the matter - it probably is coincidence.

Yet, last weekend against ou there was one play that has been stuck in my memory - the play is when dagunduro (slightly hurt himself) tackled an ou ballhandler from behind on a screen - & it was the angle & speed that he showed on the play that wowwed me - in past yrs dt's have had opportunities to bring down a ballhandler - but they have lacked the speed to do so even w/ an angle, & in most cases the ballhandler continues to progress down field - dagunduro (along w/ the other dt recruits) has sometime that I have not seen in a while & that is speed - & a dt needs some speed when he gets into the backfield to bring down a qb or rb (esp. if that dt has the angle)

& I just love the fact that UN's dts match their opponents' qbs in speed - so bring them down, & lets hope UN continues to lead the nation in sacks yr after yr.