Something else to consider

nepolo7

This may have been covered earlier but I want to state it here and see if I can not get some responses.

I have thought a lot about what has transpired these past two weeks. I think it is way to easy to blame the coach right now I am not crazy about him at this point but here are some other things that bother me.

Why is it the coach's repsonsiblity to fire a team up for a big game let alone Oklahoma, where are the seniors, the Grant Wistorms, Jason Peters, Scott Frost's Mackovicka's the list goes on but where were those players who have would simply not let this team lose. I am sorry but if you are a college football player you should not need a riling speec from your coach to get fired up.

I am also not sure about this coach however this program has not had any consistency for about 4 years now. The one reason I do not endorse firing Callahan is that I would like to see what one staff can do for four years. Having said that if next year this team has similar results I will be on the fire Callahan bandwagon.

Looking forward to some responses, I am not saying Callahan is a great coach but why is the blame being solely placed in his lap. Why are these players being given a free pass. Maybe some of these players will mature into teh players I was talking about.

I am a coach myself althoughn in a much different sport but I always stress to my players it is their team it is their opportunity to be great. I will always have a chance to win they only get a couple.

These players need to be reminded of that. You are always a Husker but you only wear that uniform for a short time.

This may have been covered earlier but I want to state it here and see if I can not get some responses.

I have thought a lot about what has transpired these past two weeks. I think it is way to easy to blame the coach right now I am not crazy about him at this point but here are some other things that bother me.

Why is it the coach's repsonsiblity to fire a team up for a big game let alone Oklahoma, where are the seniors, the Grant Wistorms, Jason Peters, Scott Frost's Mackovicka's the list goes on but where were those players who have would simply not let this team lose. I am sorry but if you are a college football player you should not need a riling speec from your coach to get fired up.

I am also not sure about this coach however this program has not had any consistency for about 4 years now. The one reason I do not endorse firing Callahan is that I would like to see what one staff can do for four years. Having said that if next year this team has similar results I will be on the fire Callahan bandwagon.

Looking forward to some responses, I am not saying Callahan is a great coach but why is the blame being solely placed in his lap. Why are these players being given a free pass. Maybe some of these players will mature into teh players I was talking about.

I am a coach myself althoughn in a much different sport but I always stress to my players it is their team it is their opportunity to be great. I will always have a chance to win they only get a couple.

These players need to be reminded of that. You are always a Husker but you only wear that uniform for a short time.

not to be short with you.....but we got 100 or more threads just like this one..

keep trying tho, I like you typing style and some of the sentences really flowed nicely

everyone knows that firing Callahan would set this program back even further. A new coach would fire the entire staff (except for John Blake) and then we'd go thru another couple of years of adjustment and recruiting would also suffer. Callahan will stay on, but if we don't get to a bowl game this year, then someone is going to have to fall on the sword, Cosgrove or Elmo quickly come to mind.

I agree with you nepolo7, coaches shouldn't motivate players, players should motivate other players. TO didn't motivate anyone, it just wasn't his style, but Jason Peter, Wistrom, Mike Brown, Tommie Frazier, etc were the motivators in the past, not the coaches.

Its true that we don't seem to have team leaders that can fire up their team mates, but I remember many years when T.O.'s teams were criticized as being "too business like", too professional and emotionless. Yet they won and usually dominated with their business like approach.

I not upset about the lack of emotion among the players. I'm upset about the very predictable play calling; especially the first scripted plays. I'm pretty sure that we have started off with 3 running plays up the middle in each of the last 4 or 5 games. In each case its 3 and out, followed by a successful creative drive and score by the opponents.

Its not the players that determine the plays.

***SNIP***

I not upset about the lack of emotion among the players. I'm upset about the very predictable play calling; especially the first scripted plays. I'm pretty sure that we have started off with 3 running plays up the middle in each of the last 4 or 5 games. In each case its 3 and out, followed by a successful creative drive and score by the opponents.

Its not the players that determine the plays.

Given the less than stellar run-blocking we're seeing, I don't see how three runs up the gut would make a difference.

Quite frankly, the best chance the offense has to move the ball is the pass, not the run.