Receiver Articles - Enunwa and Kyler Reed

A couple of articles about our receiving corps, a WR and a TE.

Enunwa wants to add to his skill set

LINCOLN — Coaches want him to do it. His fellow receivers get a kick out of it.

But the Nebraska wideout who throws the meanest blow-up block — junior Quincy Enunwa — doesn't like to send those budding Blackshirts bouncing off the practice turf.

"Those are my teammates, man," Enunwa said. "If I hurt them, I won't feel good about it. You probably won't even see me do it in the spring game."

Enunwa has the crunch cred already. He made his own rep as a big blocker last year, when he helped bust open big runs for Rex Burkhead and turned a Fresno State interception into a Nebraska fumble recovery when he not-so-gently removed the Bulldog cornerback from the football.

Wide receivers coach Rich Fisher kept track of "decleat" blocks last year. Enunwa led the way.

"Everybody wants to block like Quincy," sophomore Kenny Bell said. "He's a monster, isn't he?"

Reed aims to make most of better health

It was evident during Kyler Reed's sophomore year in 2010 what kind of matchup issues the tight end can create for a defense.

Remember when he ran away from Kansas State defensive backs for a touchdown even after coming to almost a complete stop to catch the pass at the 40? There's a reason teammates nicknamed him "Speed."

His swiftness gave opponents many problems that year, especially near the end of a season where he ended up with 22 catches -- including eight touchdowns, a school record in a season for a tight end.

But last year, Reed didn't materialize as much in the passing game. He caught 15 passes and didn't claim only touchdown of the year until the Iowa game.

Some have wondered what to make of that.

A big reason: Reed was never fully healthy in 2011, something I asked him about after Monday's practice.