My new "yacht"

umm nice boat but you know you have mercury on the back right?!!

Yes I know I have a merc on the back. The 4-strokes nowadays are pretty solid so I'm not too worried about it. My last boat had a merc as well and that one outperformed yamaha, suzuki, honda, etc. in nearly every category in independent testing and I never had any problems with it. There seems to be a lot of negativity about Mercury motors but I personally don't know anyone who's had any issues.

Plus, Lund doesn't exactly make it easy to put a Yamaha on the back of their boats. That adds more money and they kinda raise a stink about it if you ask. Merc and Lund are owned by the same company ya know...

• Fire 1

Yes I know I have a merc on the back. The 4-strokes nowadays are pretty solid so I'm not too worried about it. My last boat had a merc as well and that one outperformed yamaha, suzuki, honda, etc. in nearly every category in independent testing and I never had any problems with it. There seems to be a lot of negativity about Mercury motors but I personally don't know anyone who's had any issues.

Plus, Lund doesn't exactly make it easy to put a Yamaha on the back of their boats. That adds more money and they kinda raise a stink about it if you ask. Merc and Lund are owned by the same company ya know...

well i deal with a different type of environment being around ocean.... maybe Mercs. are good in fresh water put i've heard a lot of sh#t about them in general... you hardly see them out here at all... lots of Yamaha's, some Hondas, and Suzuki's... personally i'm fond of the suzuki's.... i've had them for many years and no problems... they are always on the cutting edge and constantly win innvovation awards... their 300 is a beast!!!

but anyways i'll let the mercury slide this time!!

boat looks cherry though... so does da trailer!

well i deal with a different type of environment being around ocean.... maybe Mercs. are good in fresh water put i've heard a lot of sh#t about them in general... you hardly see them out here at all... lots of Yamaha's, some Hondas, and Suzuki's... personally i'm fond of the suzuki's.... i've had them for many years and no problems... they are always on the cutting edge and constantly win innvovation awards... their 300 is a beast!!!

Yeah, based on what I've seen on the interwebs the Suzuki's and Yamahas appear to be the most reliable outboards. Hopefully I get lucky on this one, because I can't afford a problem..

Yeah, based on what I've seen on the interwebs the Suzuki's and Yamahas appear to be the most reliable outboards. Hopefully I get lucky on this one, because I can't afford a problem..

you know they are all built pretty well... it just seems like mercs. never seem to have "minor" problems... when sh#t goes bad it goes real bad....... but i guess its just luck of the draw.....

• 2 weeks later...

you know they are all built pretty well... it just seems like mercs. never seem to have "minor" problems... when sh#t goes bad it goes real bad....... but i guess its just luck of the draw.....

So far so good... Put over a couple hundred miles of driving on the motor this past week on Rainy Lake and no issues. Hopefully I avoided one of the Merc lemons.