NT Times reports that U.S. and Israel were source of Stuxnet

Make no mistake about it - President Obama is a killing machine when it comes to the use of UAVs against Muslim terrorists, and if this this account is true, he quickly accelerated developing cyberwarfare systems against the Iranians that resulted in chaos in their nuke development program setting them back as much as two years. I am glad he made the decision. And I am happy to hear that we are working diligently to develop cyberwarfare weapons - weapons that are effective like Stuxnet..

Now having said that, why are secret methods and operations used against our enemies being revealed?? Is all of this chest-thumping part of the Dems plan to get Mr. Obama re-elected? I don't get it.

http://www.nytimes.c...pagewanted=1

Cyber warfare is a lot like biological warfare - I don't think human beings want to go there because once a "bug" - in either case - gets out, there's no stopping it

At this point our cyber "bugs" are not like flu viruses in as such they cant mutate to become an unstoppable "Sky Net". Not to imply I have insider info, just from what I read, and I have some friends who really keep on top of this. Anyway barley a month goes by without a news report of some US government agency or high end corporation being attacked, normally from servers based in China, and I am glad to hear we are taking an active stance on this front. IMO it was pretty obvious Stuxnet was a US/Israeli operation, Europe doesn't have the will, and Russia/China is to much on Iran's side, also I find it funny the week we start hearing about "flame", we get conformation Stuxnet was ours.

I am concerned as well over the leaks we've had this past week or so. The "kill list", now this, I am not to big of a fan with chest thumping when it comes to covert operations, although, at times, these serve as a shot over the bow for others, kind of like when China shot down a satellite and we did it a few weeks later, only from a Navy ship (my wing-wang is as big as yours, and I have a boat as well!).

Cyber warfare is a lot like biological warfare - I don't think human beings want to go there because once a "bug" - in either case - gets out, there's no stopping it

I am concerned as well over the leaks we've had this past week or so. The "kill list", now this, I am not to big of a fan with chest thumping when it comes to covert operations, although, at times, these serve as a shot over the bow for others, kind of like when China shot down a satellite and we did it a few weeks later, only from a Navy ship (my wing-wang is as big as yours, and I have a boat as well!).

I agree with you on occasionally heaving a "shot over the bow" - but you can do that without doing a data dump to the NY Times. Besides, I suspect the Iranians figured out who was responsible, and I'm almost positive the Russians figured it out once the Iranians gave them some of the suspect code.

I agree with you on occasionally heaving a "shot over the bow" - but you can do that without doing a data dump to the NY Times. Besides, I suspect the Iranians figured out who was responsible, and I'm almost positive the Russians figured it out once the Iranians gave them some of the suspect code.

I 100% agree the last two "leaks" were White House ported straight to the media...

Isn't this whole Stuxnet business old news? I thought its been assumed for well over a year now that we cooperated with the Germans and Israelis to make this thing happen.

The breaking story in all of this is what Canttakeitanymore mentioned, "Flame" which went unnoticed for a while and has been found in computers in the Palestinian territories as well as Iran. Pretty clear just from the targets who the source probably was...

As far as the political angle I don't know that I'd read too much into the "getting Obama reelected" angle of it. Sometimes News stories are just that...news, reporting on things that happen, and Stuxnet has been known about for two whole years now, hardly an eleventh hour DNC trick to get the President votes. But broadly speaking I suppose the President did embark upon this in part to get reelected. It's part of his unorthodox approach in combating our enemies which feeds into his overall plan for his Presidency which I am sure includes being reelected.

Isn't this whole Stuxnet business old news? I thought its been assumed for well over a year now that we cooperated with the Germans and Israelis to make this thing happen.

The breaking story in all of this is what Canttakeitanymore mentioned, "Flame" which went unnoticed for a while and has been found in computers in the Palestinian territories as well as Iran. Pretty clear just from the targets who the source probably was...

As far as the political angle I don't know that I'd read too much into the "getting Obama reelected" angle of it. Sometimes News stories are just that...news, reporting on things that happen, and Stuxnet has been known about for two whole years now, hardly an eleventh hour DNC trick to get the President votes. But broadly speaking I suppose the President did embark upon this in part to get reelected. It's part of his unorthodox approach in combating our enemies which feeds into his overall plan for his Presidency which I am sure includes being reelected.

Yeah Stuxnet is old news, just the "confirmation" that it was us, is news (although it was pretty obvious IMO), most people who follow such things seem to be put off by showing whats behind the curtain. They told the world the underwear bomber 2.0 was a double, confirmed the Pakistani doctor was the one who helped us find Bin Laden (now serving 30 years in prison), the "kill list" where they told us Obama personally signs off on who the military will target, including Americans, and now Stuxnet. I really dont know why you would reveal all of this. I know Washington operates in strange ways, but I dont know the advantage of letting all of this out.