Steve Pederson Message to boosters

A friend of mine who is a booster for NU gave me a letter he got from Steve Pederson that was addressed to boosters regarding this weekend's game. Here are the contents of that message

---------------------

"This Saturday, 22 Nebraska seniors will take the field at Memorial Stadium for the last time to a thundering ovation. Like every class before them, these seniors have made important contributions to Nebraska football and deserve our appreciation.

When future Nebraska teams hoist a championship trophy, they will owe a debt of gratitude to these players for the foundation they are building at Nebraska. Growing up in Nebraska, I learned that there are no short cuts to success and hard work pays off. I was at Ohio State in the late 80's when another dynasty that had lost its luster began its rebirth as a perennial power. Like that similar situation, these seniors have embraced a new staff and system that is very different from what they expected upon their arrival in Lincoln. Their leadership and commitment have enabled us to turn the corner and our future is brighter because of it.

I did some interviews earlier this week where I was asked about the coaching staff, the team, and the future of Nebraska football. I told them that I've seen dramatic improvement in practice and on Saturdays. We are playing a style of football that is attracting the nation's top young talent. Our coaching staff has the trust of our players and together they are improving. Our prospects for recruiting another strong class are great.

We need to look no further than our own National Championship teams to see what happens when great talent and great coaching come together.

While we have seen some amazing and exciting games this fall, I recognize that we are not where we want to be as a football program yet. Having been the recruiting coordinator at Nebraska, I also know it is very important that future recruits see that great positive atmosphere that Nebraska is known for across the country.

Beyond wins and losses, I understand that this team, its players, and coaches represent the State of Nebraska. Wins and losses, along with academics, sportsmanship, and character are critical to the overall success of the program. We are working to excel in every aspect of performance on and off the field.

Like the words to our fight song say, "We'll all stick together in all kinds of weather, for Dear Old Nebraska U."

Go Big Red!

Steve

There are many people who will equate this message with President Bush's speech on the Iraqi WMD threat.

I am going to take the message at face value. Only time can prove whether the AD is right or wrong.

I hope the seniors on the team strive for a successful conclusion to their careers at NU.