Musta worked Hi Speed Rail vs. low speed politics

The Rubio/Stewart debate must have worked.

We are getting a brand new high speed rail system that runs from L.A. to S.F/Sacratomatoe. Only 68 billion; forgetting the crumbling roads, sewer & water systems, overburdened Corrections system, etc,, etc, etc. Wait one.....sorry there is a majority in the Cali Legislature. never mind

Yippee-ki-yay mo.........rfu........r.

But we're passing more gun control laws to finance this boondoggle just in case passenger stats don't quite make the quota. Makes me shiver to think of the terrorists' drooling over this one.

Definitely wanna be on that thingie when a IED lets go 100 feet in front of it while it's traveling at 150 mph. But there will be security along all 500 miles. Nevermind that we can't stop illegal aliens at the border or drugs either. sokay

:)

my work here is done

Would love to be the CPA firm that audits all of those expenditures and follow the paper trails.

• Fire 1

I'm with you...and against you on this one.

It's a great idea to have high-speed rail between major cities in the U.S. LA to San Fran is a no-brainer, and I'm actually surprised LA-Las Vegas hasn't happened. I think they've looked at Chicago-St.Louis, Dallas-Houston, distances like that. High-speed rail would never work across the entire country. Way too expensive, and that's when air-travel is really a time/cost benefit. But that's straying from your post a bit...

As someone who's traveled extensively through Europe, I've been on the AVE in Spain, the TGV in France, and the ICE in Italy, all high-speed rail. It is amazing, to say the least. Very fast, very smooth ride, modern conveniences. It cuts down on driving and pollution, and you can show up at the train station 3 minutes ahead of departure and there's no problem.

In the U.S., and California specifically, there are many problems. Some obvious, some not.

For one, the timing of green-lighting this project couldn't have been worse. The state of the California economy is horrendous to say the least. This project could've been started in the mid-80's when Reagan was throwing billions at a Star Wars program that went nowhere. At least throwing billions at a high-speed train system in his home state would've at least amounted to something. But as we all know, the oil companies already had the U.S. locked up in their cars by then. I'm just amazed that they think doing this now is a good idea. And the governor thinks this is going to lead to job growth? "Thousands of new jobs" I believe Jerry Brown put it. Well...that's a bunch of crap. The only job growth they'll really see is the construction of the project. And when it's completed...then what? You'll have a couple of ticket booths, maybe 5 staff on board the trains, and 6 total trains running at the max, 3 each direction? A handful of maintenance workers...and umm...that doesn't add up to 1000's to me.

It was also disheartening to hear that the California HSR line has really gotten so watered down in the legislature that I'm not even sure it's worth it anymore. Initial speeds and a direct LA to San Fran route with one or no stops, which is what Cali taxpayers voted on, are a thing of the past. Now they've included routes that include Fresno to Bakersfield? Merced? And a train speed significantly reduced to where it's now called a 'hybrid' train? In Spain, the route from Madrid to Seville has ONE stop, in Cordoba. Stops for about 4 minutes. Otherwise, high speed constantly. In California, this train is going to simulate what Amtrak currently does...slowing down around communities and making multiple stops. This is ridiculous, and hardly the point of a HSR.

This is why LA to Vegas would've been more interesting. Expensive, sure, but less land to fight over, less reasons to slow down and stop. I really hope California can get this done. But in a different economical climate, and with the train and time between SF and LA that they originally promised taxpayers, not this watered-down version that won't make anyone happy.

I can't believe the terrorists haven't planted IEDs along all the railroad tracks in the US yet. There are a lot of them. It's a shame we have built railroads without thinking of this.

The job growth is temporary, though. They shouldn't tout it as if it were permanent.

If you want to fix the overburdened prison system, start by ending this ridiculous and futile war on drugs, which is more like a civil war waged by our government against non-violent offenders.

Or kill two birds with one stone. Legalize marijuana, tax the hell out of it, and use part of the revenue to build a proper high-speed rail line.

This project originally started at approx 45 Billion i believe.

I get off on rant usually just to my wife about the WOD. Taxing pot just like liquor, cigs and tires. Especially cigs. WOWSER $5 bucks a pack.

??billion fighting a war they can't win i.e. prohibition; does anyone look at history.

I digress; I was completely baffled why that HST didn't go to Vegas. All you have to do is drive the I-15 almost any day exc. Sun OMG. Seemed like a no brainer. I agree wholeheartedly about watering down the project with more stops and slower speeds. I voted for the other side of the aisle which doesn't make me happy either. meh

Even my son who is a LEO thinks drug enforcement money is a waste unless it's coming into his department :D

Multiple stops? WTF is the point of that? HSR are supposed to be alternatives to planes, lots of stops makes them more like a bus. HSR would be a good idea in a number of places across the country, IF executed properly.

To the jobs, the permanent number may well be in the thousands when you really get into it. A station will have maintenance staff, ticket sellers, security, cleaning crews, lot attendants to charge for short term/long term parking. I would imagine a number of vendors selling food, books, and other stuff would be located there as well. Then you also have a destination in the station. It either spurs the businesses already in existence by a station, or it creates new ones.