Metcalf boosts Team USA past Dominicans

Metcalf boosts Team USA past Dominicans

Former Husker Nancy Metcalf collected 25 points as the U.S. national women's volleyball team defeated the Dominican Republic 25-20, 26-24, 24-26, 25-16 on Thursday night at the Pan American Cup semifinals in Juarez, Mexico. The U.S. faces defending tournament champion Brazil in the gold-medal match Friday night.

Both the Americans and Dominicans are qualified for the 2012 Olympic Games that begin on July 28, but the U.S. is competing with none of the players expected to be on its Olympic roster, including former Husker Jordan Larson. In contrast, the Dominican Republic brought nearly its entire Olympic Games roster to the Pan American Cup.

Related, from Kayla Banwarth's blog:

Gold Medal Match!

Tonight Team USA will be playing in the GOLD MEDAL MATCH of the Pan American Cup! We had a great win over Dominican Republic in the semis. Tonight we take on Brazil! I feel a good vibe going through this team right now and I believe we are ready to take on this challenge! Hopefully it will end with us on top of the podium with a nice piece of GOLD hardware around our necks :) Wish me luck!

The match is at 9:00 PM CST and again, you can watch live at this link:

http://www.livestrea...copanamericana2