Nebraska wins Back 2 Back NC's by 2015

Huskrz65

Not that this has anything to do with this thread, but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

I was at the Navy Exchange today looking at winter coats; making preparations for my trip to Lincoln in Dec.

Anyway. I was wearing my long sleeve Nebraska shirt. I got stopped by an elderly couple (50-60's) that took notice of my shirt.

We engaged in a small conversation about who is from where and what not, and then the older gentleman said, "Give em' a couple years, they'll be back."

I thought that was pretty cool coming from a retired gentleman that lives out of state. :thumbs

ND had the cupboard stocked for a run with tall athletic receivers and a very gifted, heady quarterback at the healm protected by a veteran line with West Coast type Offense experience for 3 years(9 JUNIORS AND SENIORS ON THEIR 2 DEEP!) .

Thats funny, because I have been hearing for quite a few years that ND needs to lower its academic standards to get better RECRUITS, that they have a talent issue, now with a coaching change they have good talent :wtf

Isnt that what Hornug (sp?) got in trouble for saying, that ND needs to lower academic requirements??

Spurrier has done a good job at South Carolina, but 6-5 to 7-4, according to yourself and some on this board, 1 more win is NOT necessarily improvement.

Point being, they are performing better with what they have since the coaching change. NU hasnt, and they have actually regressed in quite a few areas.

Your hatred for John Blake blinds you because he left Stoops a ton of talent that he fed off for his first 3-4 years.  Blake may not have been a good head coach, but he was a damn good recruiter.

Not true, my friend. I dont hate blakie at all. He is a very, very good recruiter. Has been for years. He has had a hand in a ton of highly rated recruits, both here and at OU. Problem is, he is not a very good coach. He would be a great recruitng coordinator, or at very best a DT coach. Anything more seems to be above his head.

As far as talent level, I will give you KU, they don't have as much talent as NU.  But in the past 4 years, MU has had recruiting classes that were rated higher than NU every year except last year.  Aside from the class of 2005, Pitt has had similar recruiting classes as Nebraska.  As far as recruiting classes were rated, KSU was better than NU in 2 of the past 4 years with top 20 classes in those years.  So that is also bunk. 

Then how did FS manage to win so many games with similar talent??

Whether or not it is a good system taught by bad coaches here is debatable at best.  NU hasn't had much offensive firepower since 2001.  The team is 28-19 since then.  Lots of deep rooted problems.  This season isn't over yet and there is still a chance at 8-4.  There have been flashes this season of better things to come, but not enough to be overly optimistic for next season.  I will reserve judgement to see how we end the season, first and foremost, and how the team reacts and adjusts for next season with another year under their belt.

The only thing that we can do is wait. But I have a feeling that next year will be similiar to the last 2. If that happens, is it time to pull the plug?? All the highly rated recruiting classes in the world wont do a bit of good if you cant develop the talent and put them in position to make plays and win. blakie proved that at OU. At this point, if this staffs recruiting is so good, with as bad as the talent is supposed to be at NU prior to them getting here, then more of their highly touted recruits should be seeing the field. They do at many other colleges around the country. That means that either these recruits arent as good as advertised, the schemes are not conducive to them picking them up, or the coaches cant develop the players.

Im sorry, but this whole "We need more time" is getting old, quick. If we were seeing positive results, and true improvement, I would be patient. But after 2 years, we arent, and the patience is getting thin.

ND had the cupboard stocked for a run with tall athletic receivers and a very gifted, heady quarterback at the healm protected by a veteran line with West Coast type Offense experience for 3 years(9 JUNIORS AND SENIORS ON THEIR 2 DEEP!) .

Thats funny, because I have been hearing for quite a few years that ND needs to lower its academic standards to get better RECRUITS, that they have a talent issue, now with a coaching change they have good talent :wtf

Isnt that what Hornug (sp?) got in trouble for saying, that ND needs to lower academic requirements??

The only person I have ever heard say that there is a talent problem at ND is Paul Hornung, saying they needed to lower their academic standards to get the black athlete. According to rivals, that's not true. They have had some good recruiting classes, but Willingham didn't reap many rewards. The class Weiss is putting together this year is very impressive. Talent problem? I think not. Maybe a coaching problem.

Spurrier has done a good job at South Carolina, but 6-5 to 7-4, according to yourself and some on this board, 1 more win is NOT necessarily improvement.

Point being, they are performing better with what they have since the coaching change. NU hasnt, and they have actually regressed in quite a few areas.

SC being better this season with less is debatable at best. Looking at their schedule this year and last, they are not much improved, if at all. They average 1 point more per game, 60 less yards. I thought the old ball coach was an offensive genius? Why don't you throw him under the bus? They rank 2 slots ahead of NU in offense. Their defense gives up 1 more point and 30 more yards. How exactly are they playing better? Big whoop, they beat an overhyped Urban Meyer's Florida and a Tennessee team that is in a free-fall.

Your hatred for John Blake blinds you because he left Stoops a ton of talent that he fed off for his first 3-4 years.  Blake may not have been a good head coach, but he was a damn good recruiter.

Not true, my friend. I dont hate blakie at all. He is a very, very good recruiter. Has been for years. He has had a hand in a ton of highly rated recruits, both here and at OU. Problem is, he is not a very good coach. He would be a great recruitng coordinator, or at very best a DT coach. Anything more seems to be above his head.

Ok, glad you don't hate him. I agree with you that he is a solid recruiter and at best a DT coach. The head coaching gig was obviously over his head.

As far as talent level, I will give you KU, they don't have as much talent as NU.  But in the past 4 years, MU has had recruiting classes that were rated higher than NU every year except last year.  Aside from the class of 2005, Pitt has had similar recruiting classes as Nebraska.  As far as recruiting classes were rated, KSU was better than NU in 2 of the past 4 years with top 20 classes in those years.  So that is also bunk. 

Then how did FS manage to win so many games with similar talent??

Well, from 95-98 NU had top 15 recruiting classes, and by my calculations that would have carried Solich all the way up until about 2002. We see what happened then. 2003, he put together a decent season, but there was really no game that NU beat a team that was as good or better than them.

Whether or not it is a good system taught by bad coaches here is debatable at best.  NU hasn't had much offensive firepower since 2001.  The team is 28-19 since then.  Lots of deep rooted problems.  This season isn't over yet and there is still a chance at 8-4.  There have been flashes this season of better things to come, but not enough to be overly optimistic for next season.  I will reserve judgement to see how we end the season, first and foremost, and how the team reacts and adjusts for next season with another year under their belt.

The only thing that we can do is wait. But I have a feeling that next year will be similiar to the last 2. If that happens, is it time to pull the plug?? All the highly rated recruiting classes in the world wont do a bit of good if you cant develop the talent and put them in position to make plays and win. blakie proved that at OU. At this point, if this staffs recruiting is so good, with as bad as the talent is supposed to be at NU prior to them getting here, then more of their highly touted recruits should be seeing the field. They do at many other colleges around the country. That means that either these recruits arent as good as advertised, the schemes are not conducive to them picking them up, or the coaches cant develop the players.

Im sorry, but this whole "We need more time" is getting old, quick. If we were seeing positive results, and true improvement, I would be patient. But after 2 years, we arent, and the patience is getting thin.

I agree with you that the recruiting classes won't do a bit of good if the talent can't be developed and coached. If next season is filled with mediocre results, then the plug may get pulled, and at the very least the coaching staff will be on the hot seat. I too am also getting tired of giving it more time, but sometimes great things take time to develop and I am trying to keep this in mind and remain patient and reserve condemning judgement(although the KU game pissed me off more than any other game has in my entire life). Callahan here or not, it's still Go Big Red for Life!

Husker33- Tell me what year the option was installed here? Tell me what Top 10 team runs the option. 

The hurdle is not the scheme, but the athletes with experience to operate it. Do you know how many true frosh played this year?  Do you know how many true frosh, redshirt frosh and sophs played this year?  Do you know how many 18 year olds played against KSU?

The OL is critical in running any offense.  We are playing 2 frosh as tackles; one is a redshirt, the other is a true.

Do we or do we not have as much talent as Kansas? as Missouri?

If the scheme is too compex for the young guys to learn, simplify it until they can grasp what they need to let their talent work for them. How many formations and motions into formation does a team need to run in order to perform???

And, if it is just a matter of getting experience in the scheme, why is it that we see the same simple mistakes every week, offsides, misalignments, etc. etc.

:yeah

All of these excuses about "give it more time" "these guys are young yet" etc. are not holding much water anymore. ND has got it done w/ a first year HC, South Carolina isnt doing badly, either. Stoops didnt make excuses, he won in year #2.

There is no way that KU, Mizzou, KSU, and Pitt have the same level of talent as NU. Its a good PRO system (bad for college athletes) that is being run and "taught" by bad coaches. The result is an 11-10 record.

They do have the same talent because Frank left us that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Then is a damn good thing that Frank is a better coach than billy c, because he beat these guys more than he lost to them :thumbs

If Frank could get 9 (10) wins out of a similiar schedule with similar players, and billy c can only manage 5 to 6 wins, its easy to see who the better coach is.

You really can't determine who the better coach is by that perspective. If Callahan was running the option with the same-level talent, then you could make a contrast but Callahan is running the WCO with a mediocre class of talent that was brought in to run the option. If Callahan was 5-6 running the option, I would say Solich is he better coach. However, Solich was 7-7 one year and without good reason. I think since it was Callahan's first year, a 5-6 season is over-lookable.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the 5-6 record his first year. It is understood that there will be transition costs and growing pains. However, my problem comes with the lack of adjustments from year to year - this team is exhibiting many of the same problems they did last year, and with the lack of progress from game to game during the year.

There is also the problem of asking why one would want to implement as many sets and aspects of his offense when the players aren't capable of doing them? It's important to implement your system but it is also important to win games. When Barney Cotton had Jammall Lord as his QB he didn't ask him to run a lot of complex passing plays, he let him do what he did best while waiting to have Dailey to run his offense. Well, he never got that chance, but he did win 10 games with Lord at QB, and now he's winning games with a Soph. at QB - just for ISU who may be in the Big 12 north championship game this year.

My concern is that I believe that if this team had played last year's schedule, we might possibly be looking at a record that is worse than 5-6.

True.  I remember when it seemed people were pissed with run, run, run. punt. 

PATIENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<_< I too remember the complaining about running too much. Don't remember all that punting, but I do remember that there were 35+ years of 9 wins (or better). A lot of people would prefer the boring running attack if it brought the same results today. :worship

But those days are gone people.

Cally will deliver the NU program back to the 9 win seasons, but it's NOT going to produce back to back NC's in the next ten years. JMO, hopefully, I'm wrong.

Oh, BTW it's PATIENCE.... not Patients. :cheers