What is a v-back anyway?

If you watched to Colorado game you know that Colorado has "v-back" named Vickers. Can anyone tell me exactly what he does and what he is used for? Just curious about that because I have never heard of it before.

Talks cockey about how they are going to beat Nebraska in the Colorado papers only to get their asses handed to them Corn Husker style? That would be my guess on what a V-Back is! :thumbs

Maybe veryoverrated back?? :cheers

:yeah Let's see here...I think he had about 0 yards on us and I'm not sure he even touched the ball once. If I remember right, he may have dropped a pass, but I'm not sure.

Seriously though, the v in "v-back" stands for versatile. I found an article on Vickers and it says it in the article. Here's a quote from it:

"The "V" in Lawrence Vickers' job description is supposed to stand for "versatile."

Vickers is something of a pioneer on the University of Colorado football team. He essentially invented his own position, the V-back, when his skills in the backfield began defying any clear definition."

If anyone by any chance wants to read it here's the link:

V-Back Vickers