If Notre Lame can, why can't we?

beanman

Although I hate Notre Lame and I was disappointed that Oklahoma couldn't win that game, it does give me a little hope for the future. The reason is, Notre Lame is a cold climate in a complete dive of a town and they've got the horses to be a legitimate top 5 team. In fact, I think they and Oregon are the best teams outside of the SEC. I like what Snyder has done at K-State but I just don't think they have the players to compete with that SEC talent.

I've been to South Bend, and even slept in Tony Fisher's room when I was there. That town is a complete and utter shithole. I didn't think that campus was that great either. What I'm saying is, Notre Dame is attractive because its history and a degree from there means something. Now that we're in the Big 10 hopefully our academic side is more appealing than before. But we've got a very strong history too. We can turn this around and given some of the younger talent on the team I'm optimistic that we may just do that in the next few years.

Bo, I'm counting on you to make it happen, don't let Beanman down.

I know what your saying but it's notre dame man. I don't really like them either but if you get a recruit and his parents on a visit there I guarantee they push the academics big time so by the end up te trip the parents push the kids hard to go there. They are in the north and a crap of a town you are right but notre dame is different I think

Lot of good points. ND has a lot of tradition just as Nebraska does. I do agree, South Bend is dump. The thing ND has going for them is national exposure and NFL potential. Kids these days appreciate those things especially when they aspire to be pros. ND has NBC is their back pocket with the contract. ND is guaranteed to be on TV every week. Not only that, ND loads their schedules with great teams as well. There are a few cupcakes in there mainly because they have history with those teams. Notre Dame just has a ton going for it right now. Same goes for the SEC. Eventually for the SEC, they're gonna stop getting kids who will grey shirt and that is where NU swoops in. (ala Jonathan Rose) I think NU is headed in the right direction. Playing a good B1G schedule every year will help. A conference championship this year will go a long way too.

I think we will get it done though.

I know what your saying but it's notre dame man. I don't really like them either but if you get a recruit and his parents on a visit there I guarantee they push the academics big time so by the end up te trip the parents push the kids hard to go there. They are in the north and a crap of a town you are right but notre dame is different I think

But even with the academics they've been irrelevant since 1994, until now. Don't let those bullsh#t BCS appearances fool you under Weiss. They are a much better team now. We may not be as easy of a sell, but if I was a football player in that region, I'd probably opt for an Ohio State rather than Notre Dame. We should be able to recruit to the level that we did last year consistently is all I'm saying. And that should be enough to get us in national title contention a couple times a decade.

K-State is evidence enough that our problems have had little to do with the talent we get here, which is what I initially believed the problem to be. K-State has averaged recruiting rankings 60+ under Snyder, but when you watch them play, you see discipline and sound fundamentals. If Ron Prince and his staff were still coaching, they'd barely be making bowl eligibility with the talent they have.

K-State is evidence enough that our problems have had little to do with the talent we get here, which is what I initially believed the problem to be. K-State has averaged recruiting rankings 60+ under Snyder, but when you watch them play, you see discipline and sound fundamentals. If Ron Prince and his staff were still coaching, they'd barely be making bowl eligibility with the talent they have.

Good point. I haven't looked at K-State's recruiting rankings but I think we've got more talent than them. Hopefully it all starts gelling for our coaching staff. I'm happy with our offense(other than the fact that if Tmart goes down we're potentially screwed) and am pleased with the progress on defense. I'm not happy with our kickoff return blocking scheme and whoever is coaching that needs to make some changes to start opening up some lanes instead of having the big circle jerk at the 15 yd line every time. I was very pessimistic a few weeks back but I'm starting to feel like maybe Bo still has a chance to right the ship and get us to an elite level soon.

Good point. I haven't looked at K-State's recruiting rankings but I think we've got more talent than them. Hopefully it all starts gelling for our coaching staff. I'm happy with our offense(other than the fact that if Tmart goes down we're potentially screwed) and am pleased with the progress on defense. I'm not happy with our kickoff return blocking scheme and whoever is coaching that needs to make some changes to start opening up some lanes instead of having the big circle jerk at the 15 yd line every time. I was very pessimistic a few weeks back but I'm starting to feel like maybe Bo still has a chance to right the ship and get us to an elite level soon.

IIRC Pelini said special teams is somewhat coaching-by-committee. It's something the entire staff is going to have to figure out. But, yes, in terms of k-state, based on recruiting rankings alone we're a lot better on paper. Until we can figure out our discipline/execution issues, it won't matter what kind of talent we have.