AVCA High School All America Team

GM_Tood

Cook has always had the attitude that he wants his servers to get the ball in play and allow his defense and offense to work. Service errors because you are trying to be too aggressive are momentum killers.

I wouldn't agree with this. Cook has always been a "tough serve" kind of coach. He's willing to risk service errors in exchange for putting pressure on the opponent's passers, but "tough serve" does not equate to jump serve. Jump serves are OK as long as you're moving the ball around, but if you hit a heavy top-spin, straight-line serve, that's a pretty easy serve to pass whether it's a jump-serve or flat-footed.

What made Larson's serve so impressive was the sideways movement of the ball. She put just enough of a hook - and changed it up from serve to serve - that it wasn't coming straight at the passer.

One of the toughest-serving teams I've ever watched was the Chinese National team that played Team USA in the Pershing Center sometime in the early 1990s. Not one girl on that China team had a jump-serve. They stood as far back from the end line as they could and hit a wonky floater that seemed to dance all over the place. America had no end of trouble passing those serves, and it was a close match. Can't remember if we pulled it out or not, it's been so long.

Girls today are taught from a very young age to high-five the ball, hit it with an open palm, and let it float over the net. It's more of a knuckle-ball than a fastball and it's way harder to pass. Jump serves are impressive, but they're not any more effective than a floating, flat-footed serve.

Girls today are taught from a very young age to high-five the ball, hit it with an open palm, and let it float over the net. It's more of a knuckle-ball than a fastball and it's way harder to pass. Jump serves are impressive, but they're not any more effective than a floating, flat-footed serve.

I agree 100% with this. The girls on my teams I coach (U13s) have developed the jump float from a young age, and we have a hard time getting them to try the aggressive jump serve (even if they rock it).