New RPI calculations for 2013

Article Link

The revised RPI formula will value each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win will be valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss will count 1.3 against at team’s RPI and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team.

the coaches comments are very interesting to read.

I also like the fact that by winning once at TexA$$ we gain 1.3 rpi and the combined 2 wins by TexA$$ only equates to 1.4. Win the series there and its a huge RPI boost.

So... what we need to do is split with Fulerton, win 1 against TexA$$, win the New Mexico series, split with Arkansas (unless we are swept by TexA$$ and/or Fullerton then VanHorn needs to lose both those to us.) and we have a very arguable at large bid position. Am I thinking correctly?

and go figure... the "only" coach complaining is a "warm weather" coach...

Mike Martin Sr., Florida State

I see nothing wrong with the current RPI. We have tweaked the RPI (in the past) to an extent that I think is fair for everyone competing at the Division I level. The changes recommended by the baseball committee are pretty drastic. You are penalizing schools that play home games because the weather is warmer. You are then rewarding schools that can’t play at home. Why are you penalizing schools that play at home against a school that wants to go on the road and play to get out of the colder weather? It just does not make any sense to me.

NCAA New RPI calculations link:

The revised RPI formula will value each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win will be valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss will count 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games will retain the same value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest. The weighting is based on data showing that home teams win about 62 percent of the time in Division I baseball.

NCAA New RPI calculations link:

The revised RPI formula will value each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win will be valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss will count 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games will retain the same value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest. The weighting is based on data showing that home teams win about 62 percent of the time in Division I baseball.

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks for tracking this down!