Cheese and Pepper Pasta (cacio e pepe)

cacio_pepe.jpg

Ingredients

Kosher salt, to taste

1lb pasta (I used spaghetti)

4tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

2tsp freshly cracked black pepper

1 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano

3/4 cup finely grated Cacio de Roma (couldn't find this locally so I just used more pecorino romano)

Instructions

Bring salted water to boil in 6qt pot. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.

Heat oil in 12" skillet over medium until shimmering and add pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes.

Pour 3/4 cup pasta water into skillet (be careful!) and bring to a boil.

Transfer pasta to skillet and spread it out in consistent layer.

Sprinkle cheese over pasta and toss until creamy, adding more pasta water if necessary.

Sprinkle with remaining pecorino and more pepper.

• Fire 1

A ridiculously easy and tasty dish. I've been making parmesan bowls to serve it in after seeing it served that way on No Reservations. Just get a non-stick pan medium-hot, sprinkle on a consistent layer of microplaned parmesan and let it melt into a solid piece, then drape the hot cheese over a bowl. Serve the cacio e pepe in this and serve.

A ridiculously easy and tasty dish. I've been making parmesan bowls to serve it in after seeing it served that way on No Reservations. Just get a non-stick pan medium-hot, sprinkle on a consistent layer of microplaned parmesan and let it melt into a solid piece, then drape the hot cheese over a bowl. Serve the cacio e pepe in this and serve.

I think I'll just eat at knapplc's house from now on...

• Fire 1