Nixon's Treason

This scandal suggested in this article makes Watergate seem like nothing more than stealing girl scout cookies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21768668

Declassified tapes of President Lyndon Johnson's telephone calls provide a fresh insight into his world. Among the revelations - he planned a dramatic entry into the 1968 Democratic Convention to re-join the presidential race. And he caught Richard Nixon sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks... but said nothing.

The thing I found ironic was how it reminded me of Obama telling the Russian that he would be more flexible after the election. I guess candidates and Presidents alike have been putting their election concerns ahead of what's best for the people for a long time. That should be a strong hint that the way we do things sure could be better.

The thing I found ironic was how it reminded me of Obama telling the Russian that he would be more flexible after the election. I guess candidates and Presidents alike have been putting their election concerns ahead of what's best for the people for a long time.

Could you elaborate on this?

It seems like a bit of a stretch to compare actively prolonging a war where Americans are dying to increase your chances of winning a presidential election with saying "after my election I have more flexibility" regarding missile defense treaties. That said it's quite possible that you are referring to something else.

Carl- I was referring to a small part in the linked article where supposedly Nixon told the Vietnamese that "after the election" he would be more flexible and they would get a better deal from him. Just reminded me of what Obama told the Russian is all.

I wasn't comparing those two issues but the wording used was similar. Of course there was more at stake in the middle of an active war.

• Fire 2

Carl- I was referring to a small part in the linked article where supposedly Nixon told the Vietnamese that "after the election" he would be more flexible and they would get a better deal from him. Just reminded me of what Obama told the Russian is all.

I wasn't comparing those two issues but the wording used was similar. Of course there was more at stake in the middle of an active war.

Righto. +1