Everything is dirtier in Texas

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-abortion-bill-falls-challenge-080130212.html

Despite barely beating a midnight deadline, hundreds of jeering protesters helped stop Texas lawmakers from passing one of the toughest abortion measures in the country.

As the protesters raised the noise to deafening levels in the Texas Senate chamber late Tuesday, Republicans scrambled to gather their colleagues at the podium for a stroke-of-midnight vote.

Initially, Republicans insisted the vote started before the midnight deadline and passed the bill that Democrats spent the day trying to kill. But after official computer records and printouts of the voting record showed the vote took place Wednesday, and then were changed to read Tuesday, senators retreated into a private meeting to reach a conclusion.

Um... wouldn't this be fraud?

It depends. Is the vote time when the voting started or ended? It could be that the official computer records and printouts reflect the time that the voting ended, even though the rules specify the time voting began. Either that, or Texas politicians are crooked. (Or both.)

That should have gotten a lot more news coverage than it did . . .

The filibuster got plenty of coverage, but this aspect was glossed over.

Yea, I agree. I'm not a fan of the filibuster, in general. I don't think it is a good tool for democracy. However, the Texas Republicans "3 strikes" on the woman were complete BS, and this attempt at voter fraud is even worse.

Yea, I agree. I'm not a fan of the filibuster, in general. I don't think it is a good tool for democracy.

I agree if we're talking about the silent US Senate style filibuster but I think that actual talking filibusters that slow legislation down but can't stop it entirely are useful.