Went and saw Bobcat Goldthwait

I am disappointed in this board. I love listening to Bobcat make the rounds on podcasts, he always has tremendously funny stories to tell.

Also, have you guys seen his recent movies? He's become a fairly notable independent writer/director - nobody makes dark comedies like he does.

His movie "God Bless America" is on Netflix streaming. Haven't seen it. Any good?

Watched it based on TNT's review I heard one morning.

Very dark comedy, it's kind of like "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas, but this guy takes it out on reality TV stars.

I found it very entertaining, but I could see how one could hate it if you are offended easily.

I watched it just now. It was okay. Not great, but okay. I found myself identifying with the main character's views of reality TV stars. Not to the extent that I would go on a cross country killing spree. But enough that I sometimes roll my eyes and switch channels. :lol:

I'm with Stu, I find that movie very entertaining. The killing spree is obviously the storyline, and even if you agree with the movie's stance on the media, you're going to find it really preachy at times. I think those two things could keep a lot of people from enjoying the movie. What makes the movie for me is the writing/dialogue. Scenes like this:

I am disappointed in this board. I love listening to Bobcat make the rounds on podcasts, he always has tremendously funny stories to tell.

Also, have you guys seen his recent movies? He's become a fairly notable independent writer/director - nobody makes dark comedies like he does.

Not going to debate that with you, I know he has done a lot of directing as of late. But, he burned a lot of bridges with fans and Hollywood types with his antics. He has spent a lot of time digging out of the hole he created by setting a couch on fire on national TV and his blatant bizarre behavior. He has been rude and nasty to a lot of people over the years. I guess he thinks/thought it was funny.

My whole point in starting the thread was just to say how far someone can fall after being a pretty big star. His standup show was ok IMO it wasn't great, but not too bad.

Not going to debate that with you, I know he has done a lot of directing as of late. But, he burned a lot of bridges with fans and Hollywood types with his antics. He has spent a lot of time digging out of the hole he created by setting a couch on fire on national TV and his blatant bizarre behavior. He has been rude and nasty to a lot of people over the years. I guess he thinks/thought it was funny.

My whole point in starting the thread was just to say how far someone can fall after being a pretty big star. His standup show was ok IMO it wasn't great, but not too bad.

So is that little clip suppose to exonerate him from doing what he did? That stunt and the Arsenio Hall stuff didn't really endear him to a lot of people. It just looks staged to get a rise out of people.

So is that little clip suppose to exonerate him from doing what he did? That stunt and the Arsenio Hall stuff didn't really endear him to a lot of people. It just looks staged to get a rise out of people.

No, it's not supposed to "exonerate" him. I didn't even know about that those stunts before you mentioned them, so I went and looked it up and stumbled on to that video, which I thought was interesting and funny.

I also don't understand why he needs to be "exonerated." Were the stunts childish and immature? Absolutely. But why would anyone besides maybe some stuck-up Hollywood types take offense?

To return to your OP, you're right, he is not as famous as he was during the Police Academy days. But he's probably far more respected now in smaller circles then he ever was back then.