Red-White Scrimmage VB

Overall I thought they played well for the first time in the new digs. Some brief observations below:

Impressed with Fein. She hits a heavy ball and should be a regular contributor. Needs to work a bit on serve receive.

Need some depth at Middle. Alot of unproven talent there. Haggs will be the force there...but depending on what system we run, could see her productivity drop due to her strength is running the slide.

Amber Rolfzen is going to be a stud. She played the full rotation and if she can become a bit more consistent in her "finesse" shots she will be special. Her sister is still nursing the shoulder injury and didn't get many swings that I can remember. Both are solid on D.

Libero position I was plesently surprised. Wong-Orentes played very well, and IMO will be the starter next Fri.

Setting...I think this is going to be a close call. Both played reasonably well. I was thinking Pollmiller would be the one, due to experience, to get the job...but if I had to pick one after seeing both her and Hunter play...close indeed. Might be looking at the 6-2.

Robinson was playing strong until she left with the apparant shoulder injury. I definitely see why she was playing Libero at the USA camps. Very strong overall player.

Was an overall fun night, and below was my daughters favorite part of the night.

f476.jpg

• Fire 3

Immediately noticed the bad sound system. They need to work on that in the future. Couldn't understand alot of the Huskervision features or the PA announcer.

I thought the team looked good considering all the new faces. It was alot of fun watching the alumni play.

I was disappointed in the traditional "after game autographs". Instead of fans meeting the players on the floor they moved to the concourse level and had to deal with a mob of fans trying to get close to the tables. And this all had to be done in 45 minutes. I didnt find that very fan friendly.

There were things I liked and things I didn't like about The Bob. First, they need to take the banners off the north wall and put them on the south wall with the skyboxes. They're too far away from the court and it's too dark up there in the back. It would bring them out into the open more, and it would break up the monotony of that giant wall. That wall kind of ruins the vibe for me. I couldn't not see it.

egxtMP6.jpg

With the understanding that they have more work to do, and despite the banner/wall issue, I was impressed with what they've done. Having your own seat is a vast improvement over the benches at the Coliseum. The atmosphere is far less intimate, but the banner move could help with that.

I think my impression is too clouded by memories of the Coliseum. If I hadn't watched matches there for the past two decades I'd probably be blown away by the Bob.