Returning QBs for '06 in Big 12

From rojo:

For the twelve Big 12 teams....

Look at the rankings of the seven returning starting Quarterbacks and the five back-up quarterbacks who are probable starters for ’06.

Returning starters:

1) Taylor, NU (Sr): 310 Big 12 pass attempts in ’05

2) Meyer, ISU (Jr): 244

3) Bomar, OU (So): 231

4) Bell, BU (Sr): 224

5) Young, UT (Sr): 208

6) Evridge, KSU (So): 203

7) Pena, OSU (Jr): 179

And #2 Quarterbacks who are likely starters:

8) McGee, TAM (So): 50 Big 12 pass attempts in ’05

9) Daniel, MU (So): 46

10) Cox, CU (Sr): 21

11) Barrman, KU (Sr): 18

12) Harrell, TT (So): 11

I. Percentage of Completions: (Big 12 games only)

1) Young, UT: 62%

2-4) Taylor, NU: 59%

2-4) Meyer, ISU: 59%

2-4) Bell, BU: 59%

5) Bomar, OU: 53%

6) Pena, OSU: 50%

7) Evridge, KSU: 48%

_ _ _ _ _

--Daniel, MU: 31-46: 67%

--Barrman, KU: 11-18: 61%

--Harrell, TT: 6-11: 55%

--Cox, CU: 9-21: 43%

--McGee, TAM: 21-50: 42%

II. Interception Rate: (Big 12 games only.)

1) Bell, BU: 1 interception/every 112 attempts

2) Meyer, ISU: 1/49

3) Taylor, NU: 1/44

4) Young, UT: 1/42

5) Bomar, OU: 1/33

6) Evridge, KSU: 1/29

7) Pena, OSU: 1/14

_ _ _ _ _

--Cox, CU: None in 21 attempts

--Harrell, TT: None/11

--Barrman, KU: None/18

--McGee, TAM: 1/50

--Daniel, MU: 1/46

III. Pass Efficiency Rating: (Big 12 games only.) [Note: This is a weighted index measuring passing yards, number of passing TD’s, attempts, completions and interceptions]

1) Young, UT: 168

2) Meyer, ISU: 141

3) Taylor, NU: 127

4) Bell, BU: 122

5) Bomar, OU: 114

6) Evridge, KSU: 103

7) Pena, OSU: 102

_ _ _ _ _

--Harrell, TT: 123

--Daniel, MU: 123

--Barmann, KU: 90

--McGee, TAM: 89

--Cox, CU: 61

IV. Zac Taylor’s improvement through the year:

Season averages can’t show growth within a season. And Zac Taylor grew a lot during his first tour through Division I-A ball.

A) Taylor’s first three games (Maine, Wake, Pitt):

--Completion rate: 44% (39-89-3)

--Pass Efficiency: 78

--Interception Rate: 1 interception every 30 passes.

B) Taylor’s last two games (Kansas State, Colorado):

--Completion rate: 65% (48-74-0)

--Pass Efficiency: 152

--Interception Rate: No interceptions in 74 passes.

Graphlines are seldom smooth. Taylor’s had a significant dip against Kansas: 14-26-1; 54%; Pass Efficiency= 97.

The Bottom Line:

Stats don’t measure leadership, poise, ability to avoid the sack, confidence, rushing ability, etc., etc. Still…. based on all that we see above, we can make a couple of predictions:

1) Bret Meyer or Zac Taylor versus Vince Young---at the 2006 Big 12 Championship game in Kansas City.

2) October 7, 2006: Nebraska at Iowa State. The winner gets the possible tiebreaker for the North title.

Of course Harrison Beck and Josh Freeman enter the mix for '06. In the meantime…. we'll watch the Alamo Bowl to learn more about the development of Taylor and our offense.

Just some things to think about…

good stuff. since young wont be leaving (with leinart and bush going, his draft status would be considerably lower and cost him maybe millions) texas is going to be pretty tough next year. but its nice to see that we will have experience and poise coming back. next year is lookin tough (USC, Texas) but we will be better prepared than if we would have faced these teams this year.

I too think Young will be back next season. I was trying to come up with a scenario where he and Reggie both wouldn't be back next year. For instance, Bush wins Heisman and Texas wins national title? I still think Young comes back to make a run at the Heisman again. Since Young didn't win the Heisman and if he loses to USC then I don't see how he couldn't come back. Go pro Vince. I don't want to have to play you next year. Wait, I guess I don't have to. But the NU players do.

i think Young comes back next year too......i agree, he would not garner a very high draft pick or the big bucks with USC talent coming out this year and he knows that...besides, some of the Texas guys may be headed for jail time os suspension

(naw, mack wouldn't do that, just a slap on the wrist for assault and robbery at gun point).....so they will need everyone back for '06.

hunter

CU's new HC Hawkins is begging Crosby to stay. It's tough for someone to pass on being a millionaire. Young would be a high draft pick this year, regardless of the USC talent coming out. Can he give up being a mult-millionare for a year and risk injury at the college level next season?

If Young goes, Taylor would be one of the most esperienced QB starters along with Bell of Baylor & Meyer of ISU, on the schedule.

the man can change his mind but he has already told the media and his coach that he will be back next year. safe to say we will be facing Vince Young next year.

BTW, USC will not win their third in a row championship. texas D is unlike anything fresno state and notre dame have and USC almost lost to these two teams. USC is going down! hurts to say this.. hook em horns.

the man can change his mind but he has already told the media and his coach that he will be back next year. safe to say we will be facing Vince Young next year.

BTW, USC will not win their third in a row championship. texas D is unlike anything fresno state and notre dame have and USC almost lost to these two teams. USC is going down! hurts to say this.. hook em horns.

I agree with both points. Texas will get enough pressure on Leinart that USC will be forced to go to Bush to win the game for them again. Granted, why wouldn't you go to the best College Football player in recent memory to win you the game? But I see Leinart getting knocked around a lot making it more easy to play to contain Bush. Not to mention the Texas D is a lot faster than FS or ND.

But then again, Bush could go off for 500 yards again and win it by himself. Just my gut feeling that won't happen though.

its possible utahhusker but improbable. dont forget texas has some pretty good running backs, selvin young and jamaal charles. if texas can control the ball(which they can, they have 3 very good runners, v.young, s.young, and j.charles) and use up the clock texas wins.

v.young's emergance as an effective passer will help them strike quickly and jump to an early lead.

USC is going to run a lot of play action with bush and i just hope texas doesnt bite too hard and give up points too fast too early. that was oklahoma's downfall last year.

in a "track meet" Texas will lose.......USC has too many weapons.....remember the Texas D had trouble with Tech and their offense, throwing the ball around...and USC has a much better QB than Hodges, so unless their D steps up big time, IMHO, they can't keep up with USC.......and I think they will put a lot of pressure on Young in this game.....either way, it should be a fun one to watch...

hunter

yeah... Texas 57 Tech 17. texas had a lot of trouble with tech :sarcasm thats why texas plays ball control. keep the ball out of USC's hands and those weapons become nukes that are never used. Tech then played like poop against oklahoma st and thats why they are 9-2 otherwise they'd be 10-1. tech is way better than notre dame and fresno state. and USC almost lost to those two teams.

well gee pigs.....i made a mistake, okie state had them down for awhile.....that was the game i was thinking of.........but anyway, if you think Caroll hasn't figured out how to beat Texas, you are not giving him enough credit....unless Texas brings their guns along (which some of their players have been know to use) i just can't see them wining the game.....until they win 34 straight games, it would be hard to pick them, IMHO........not lookling for a piss-fight over this game, but overall i like the talent on their team.......other than Ohio Sate, who did Texas beat this year?

their stength of schedule was nowhere near USC's......not even close

hunter

No way Vince Young will go pro. He would be maybe the 3rd or 4th QB taken if he went this year. Texas is too strong across the board for USC. I think SC has had too many tough comeback wins this season. If Texas plays like they did against TT, look for a similar result.

Back to the original topic of the thread, Taylor has had obvious improvement throughout the season(it helps when receivers start catching the ball). Things look good for next season, despite the fact that we go to USC and UT comes to town. Should be lots of fun.

im not lookin for a piss fight im just giving numbers and my own "you coach it" approach to justify my reason for picking texas to win the national championship this year and end USC's streak.

Besides Oregon, who did USC beat? Notre Dame had a weak schedule (tennesse collapsed.) and a weak defense.

Texas played A&M which was ranked pre-season like tenn. but collapsed. Played oklahoma (on the rise. playing oregon(should be bcs)). I just think Texas is too tough.