Vox Appreciation Thread

There is not enough of a timeline on the GMO crops to know exactly what outcomes could arise. The linked article in there with a group of scientists saying exactly that have a very good point. Its entirely possible the effects could not be seen for a generation or two. And there has been a timeline correlation between the advent of GMO foods, and autism. No rock solid link yet, just corollary.

Along the lines of Vox, its worth checking out the show Vice on HBO. News stories that not many are really covering, and not just window dressing.

They have a lot of good stuff on YouTube as well.

• 1 month later...

http://www.vox.com/personal-finance/2014/7/1/5860396/why-cant-we-teach-people-to-be-better-with-money?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=voxdotcom&utm_content=tuesday

Interesting article about how financial literacy education ...um... may not lead to financial literacy. It really is crazy how little most people know about money. I've been lucky and just kind of know a sh#t ton about personal finance, and I'm not really sure how - just a general interest in it I guess. But I can see how most other people are like, "sh#t, I have enough to pay rent, hakuna matata! My financial life is all in order!" and don't think any more about it. I see people all around me buying cars and houses they can't afford, blowing money on stupid sh#t, not knowing what a basic mutual fund is, on and on.

I've always jumped up and down about how a financial literacy class should be part of both high school and college requirements, but now this article/study kind of pokes a hole in that line of thought. I am not sure what can be done. What does everyone think about this? How can we effectively teach people to manage their money better and avoid major mistakes?

Thanks tschu for posting this. This has given me more info and greater confidence in the site - along with the comments of the others who have used it. Carl or JR clued me into it last week as I saw them quote it often. It does look like a good balanced site. I haven't had a chance to dig deep into it yet but added to my toolbar - I look forward to reading it more. If we all become Vox readers, we may end up all agreeing and then that would make a boring forum!!

this is a funny from the original post: " but in general, facts tend to have a liberal bias because - well - you know.)." You know I don't agree wt that but hey - I'll be aware of any liberal bias showing through VOX. I think facts are just that - facts. It is the application/interpretation that makes them liberal or conservative.

By the way, do they have any conservative contributors to provide a different perspective so that they look at an issue from all angles?

Another good thing about a site like this, is that it helps wt the research. I don't know how some of you have the time to devote to all of the research you guys do on some of these topics. Some of you bring an amazing amount of analysis to a discussion, which I respect and appreciate. I only wish I had the same amount of time to look for info. I only have a small amount of time to look into an issue, therefore, any site that can help me dig deeper into a subject is a plus. And if this site is as balanced as you claim, Tschu, then it should allow us to start with the issue in mind and not our bias in mind first. Often times, I can have a certain bias on a subject based on my own personal filters, and I can look for evidences that support my bias instead of evidence that support the truth on the subject (not saying my bias or anyone's bias can't be on the side of the truth, but it shouldn't be the driving force behind our search for truth).