Adrian Peterson

Fanatic

Here is a great article about NFL players' reactions to the whole thing:http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7073223

I seem to recall NBA players saying similar stuff to what the NFLers are saying, about how 18-year-olds aren't physically, mentally or emotionally ready for the pros and so on. This time, I think it's right. Football is uniquely demanding, at least physically, and I'm afraid that if Clarett ever even makes it, he'll get broken in half.

Joe Namath once said of the NFL, "It ain't a league of angels." Beyond the usual bloodlust, there will be guys out there to kill any teenager who thinks they can cut it.

Clarett is not the phenom that it will take. IMO, the only guy who would have been close is Vick, and he's injury-prone anyway.

Guest RockyMtnSooner

The article about Peterson was by a Texas reported about a Texas recruit going to Oklahoma. They talked to his stepfather and he said that his quotes were taken out of context. He did say he would look now at going after his Sophomore year if he performs well enough. He's going to get hit by Lance Mitchell and some other Pro-ready Sooner Defenseman that will make him want to go back to high school. Yes he's good, but how good we'll see.

Good topic though, this could really affect the future of College football. Look at college Basketball. It is the most mediocre sport there is now. Lebron, Carmello, and many others should be playing college basketball and making it interesting. I hope that doesn't happen to football, even though there is a big physical difference.

Here are some things to ponder when faced with this question.

1. Why is there an age limit period?? Free country...NO??? Soccer phenom signed at 14. Baseball almost as young.

2. Back when the Vietnam War occurred, kids, and I do mean kids, went off to war, literally killed people, did all kinds of drugs and drank all night because the government provided it and then when they came back to the "world" weren't even allowed to walk into a bar and buy a beer, but they were sent off 10,000 miles from home to kill. Same issue now. Soldiers in the Middle East, killing, taking peoples lives, yet there not allowed to play a game professiionally.

One point can be just let them play, others are going to say no, like myself, because I'm selfish. My favorite sport is college football, and this would dilute the level of play, but not as much as you think, but to a point.

3. They may want to make rules such as allowing only cornerbacks and maybe wide receivers come out early.

Just thoughts...

Excellent points, Eric. I can't find any reason that those that think that they are good enough to play can be prevented from giving it a try. It is a free country.

Now, are high school football players ready for the NFL? I have a difficult time picturing any player, even Vick, being able to do that. The primary reason is that kids at 18 are not yet done growing - or at least filling out. Seems that most kids develop between that freshman and sophmore year - they fill out and actually begin to look like men rather than pumped up boys.

My main concern is that this will lead to even more rampant use of steroids in high school, as kids begin to dream of those millions. Most won't even be drafted; the few that do will be more suseptible to injury than a college player coming out. Unlike basketball, the physicial development of football is too great. In basketball you need height and quickness - in football you need that protective layer of muscle. It just ain't there with high school kids.

But you can bet that if it's an option, a huge number of kids will make that mistake...

Many will make the mistake. I wonder is it possible to go to the pros, not take money, try out type thing and then come back to the college game to save non-professional status. We all know most of the kids aren't going to make it. Let them try and get their butt kicked.

just a thought...

Guest RockyMtnSooner

Can't post the pic alone, but here is the link. Adrian is #28 listed at 6'2--208 and a full summer with OU strength and conditioning coaches. He still needs to fill out to take the NFL pounding. Also check out #7 (the first pic). That is Bomar 6'4 210 and 4.5- 40. He looks like he has the body of a junior or senior college QB, not an 18 year old.

http://www.soonersports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbm...300&&PALBID=410

i think kids comin out early is real bad for the game. dilutes the talent like I saw another poster say. look at college bball. good point. The fact is football is so much more physical than any other sport, playin a game is like gettin in a car wreck every week. more than anything I think the league needs to protect itself and the integrity of the game. hell they have to realize these are their assets. and kids that arent mature enuf to handle the game at a yung age are bad for college and pro football. a banged up kid who cudve played in 5 yrs in the nfl is worthless on the IR.

Unfortuantley clarett just won another ruling today. :angry:

Clarett Wins Ruling to Enter NFL Draft