USA Today: Best CFB Entrances

Mavric

It's not the song. Nothing is wrong with "Sirius." It goes back to Nebraska. I have said this time and time again. Husker fans are too nice. As great as it is to live in Nebraska, nice is not what you want at a football stadium. The fans should be angry and intimidating. It used to be that way in the 90's when we were winning and competing for championships. I would tell you all to go to a Raiders game to understand what I'm talking about, but I know most of you can't do that due to location or money. When the Raiders were winning, the place rocked and it didn't matter what music was playing.

Given the chance to nominate a current song that fits the grandeur and image, I would nominate this one:

Isn't that the ESPN song?

:espnsucks:

Sorta. I forgot about that part. It is a hit song by Fall Out Boy that ESPN just announced last week would be their promo song for this first CFB season playoff. After that they will move on to another one, I imagine. But none of that was in my mind. I just like the song, in terms of its grandeur and statement in modern terms. It shouldn't alienate anyone who is currently okay with Sirius, either.

Of course, it's possible the song is not part of the issue, if there is any issue at all. It's always hard to leave behind tradition, any tradition, once it is embedded. Someday soon, though, Sirius will sound like playing Sinatra to the athletes. If it doesn't already.

Along those lines, I think of the tradition of Sweet Caroline at--Penn State? Neil Diamond, isn't that one? I don't know the history, but that is one lame, old fogey song that I cannot imagine actually firing up anyone, or the song's relevance to a CFB game.

It's not the song. Nothing is wrong with "Sirius." It goes back to Nebraska. I have said this time and time again. Husker fans are too nice. As great as it is to live in Nebraska, nice is not what you want at a football stadium. The fans should be angry and intimidating. It used to be that way in the 90's when we were winning and competing for championships. I would tell you all to go to a Raiders game to understand what I'm talking about, but I know most of you can't do that due to location or money. When the Raiders were winning, the place rocked and it didn't matter what music was playing.

Strongly disagree with one part of your thoughts: There is a huge chasm between angry and intimidating. We can be intimidating but not angry.

I, too, was there in the 90's and we were loud. And intimidating. Not angry, so much though. For that, we usually had to drive to Boulder, and the angry parts of their fanbase made it a nasty experience for the visiting fans more-so than the visiting teams. I'd like to do the intimidating part without the angry part, is what I'm saying. And no reason we can't.

It's partly the song. The song is dated. It "sounds" like the 90s.

Angry and intimidating Husker fans in the 90s? Not at any game I went to. If anything, Husker fans were more polite back then. Hell, the 2014 fans booed Miami off the field a few weeks ago.

It's partly the song. The song is dated. It "sounds" like the 90s.

Angry and intimidating Husker fans in the 90s? Not at any game I went to. If anything, Husker fans were more polite back then. Hell, the 2014 fans booed Miami off the field a few weeks ago.

Pretty good for a song from the early 80s!

I agree about angry and intimidating. The team was very intimidating because of how good it was. The fans were...the greatest! But maybe not so intimidating.