OWH McKweon: Post spring depth chart - DL's

Still puzzled over the Stoltenberg move to DT with the atrocious depth we have at DE. Watching the spring game, he looked like a DE (long and lean) trying to play DT. He needs to add another 20-30 lbs to be a DT.

Yeah, that one has me puzzled as well. The story is they think he'll work out better as a "quick" DT instead of a relatively slower DE. Hopefully it does.

I think we all feel pretty good about McMullen, Collins, & Valentine. I think the coaching staff has been vocal that Williams is solid as the #3 guy at DT. We have also heard Stoltenberg's name enough to think he is probably the #4 guy if not Maurice. The DE is the position we really have blanks at. Will Daishon Neal play as a TRFR? Yep he will. Will Alex Davis? Only if he gain 10lbs by fall and learns the playbook quickly. I don't think we are going to see this staff making the kids learn all the moves and techniques to see the field. I think they will ask (1) does he know the plays and know what he needs to do? (2) does he communicate well (3) can he run and be durable? 1.2.3.... go. At 225lbs and only 1 year of football under his belt, you have to think Davis will require a RSFR year but I think Neal plays immediately at 250lbs, 6'7" and 4.8 speed. There is just too much need for speed and pass rush for him not to.

Gangwish will be consistent and will play a lot. You'd think we'd have a real opportunity to secure some solid commits for the 2016 class at this position with such a weak depth chart and so many open spots.

I feel pretty good about our front 4 in the run game, but pass game is very worrisome.

I don't think Neal plays unless he just tears up fall camp. Hopefully Freedom can round into a pass rusher.

Forgot to Mention Freedom.... good call. Yes I think Freedom will be a #3 guy at end behind Gangwish and McMullen.

Still puzzled over the Stoltenberg move to DT with the atrocious depth we have at DE. Watching the spring game, he looked like a DE (long and lean) trying to play DT. He needs to add another 20-30 lbs to be a DT.

Yeah, that one has me puzzled as well. The story is they think he'll work out better as a "quick" DT instead of a relatively slower DE. Hopefully it does.

Couldn't they play Stoltenberg at End some this fall if needed? Yes they have said he will be a T for them, but why not move him out to end for some plays if we are thin? If they are contemplating it with Collins, who's to say they couldn't contemplate it with Newell, Stoltenberg, or the Davis twins for situational downs, or just to mix it up?

Couldn't they play Stoltenberg at End some this fall if needed? Yes they have said he will be a T for them, but why not move him out to end for some plays if we are thin? If they are contemplating it with Collins, who's to say they couldn't contemplate it with Newell, Stoltenberg, or the Davis twins for situational downs, or just to mix it up?

I'm sure they still could. But I'm not sure why you move a guy away from a position of need to one of the deepest positions on the team, only to move him back.

I'm sure they still could. But I'm not sure why you move a guy away from a position of need to one of the deepest positions on the team, only to move him back.

Because he is growing into being DT and that is where is future is at, but you have such immediate need at DE and he has played DE so you can swing him back out at this time if needed?

Maybe we don't have anyone else at DE that can do it so you identify a couple of T's who can swing out from time to time?

I dunno.