Coaching candidates

I like Taylor and think he has a very bright future.

However, I'm baffled at the thought that he would be a great option as an OC here.

Most of the angst over our offense we have now is that our current OC has the audacity to actually think a forward pass is an option to be successful.

Taylor comes from an era here where we had a HC who felt the same way. Meanwhile, Taylor's experience at an OC is in the NFL where they also believe the forward pass is useful.

I bet he has even called a pass play in a 3rd and 2 situation.

Did you see Saban and Swinney flinging passes all over the field last night?

Alabama throwing consecutive passes inside the 12 yard line? Passing on first down in the fourth quarter, while ahead? Passing on the most crucial third and short late in the game, when you need to drain clock and have the Heisman Trophy RB in your backfield?

No wonder Alabama lost.

I wouldn't necessarily point to a 30th ranked offense that is 4th in the SEC. Bolstering their scoring statistics, they had a SEC leading (nation leading?) 4+ turnover returns for TDs and a SEC leading (nation leading?) 5 punt returns for TDs. That's almost 7 points per game in scoring. Take even half of that away, and they drop 6th in the SEC in scoring and 40s/50s in NCAA. That's on top of actually making a huge jump due to the playoffs (going in they were in the middle of the SEC and 50s in the nation).

What also caught my attention is that they attempted the most field goals in the league, which indicates to me that they had a lot of drives stall on the positive side of the field. Alabama made 23 FGs this year, whereas the nation's leader in scoring offense made only 8 (on 13 attempts). Oh, and Baylor also led the nation in rushing yards per game and has the sort of dynamic offense that gets so much more out of less in terms of its athletes.

Alabama, by consensus, has the top college of athletes in the nation, including a Heisman winner. Yet their offense was fairly pedestrian in many ways, and I think that's a direct reflection of what they try to do offensively and their OC.

Hard to tell.

Turner Gill sent a message, too. He could not have been more clear that he wanted to be hired as Nebraska head football coach.

Not sure if that was a stumble or a bumble.

If you remember, most of Husker Nation - including myself and Tom Osborne - thought Bo Pelini was the smarter hire. But we certainly would have embraced Turner.

GC, thanks for your reply.

Honest question. What would it take for you to support SF ?