WR Gerald Jones

Player: Gerald Jones

Hometown: Oklahoma City, OK

Position: WR

Height: 6’0”

Weight: 185

40 time: 4.56

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Iowa State, Kansas, Florida, Notre Dame, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Tennessee

Favorites: Committed to Tennessee

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Gerald Jones is just awesome to watch on the field. Makes cuts and jukes and then sprints past the defense. Great athlete that can play DB or most likely WR in college. On one particular play he went all the way to one sidline along the line of scrimmage all the way back through all 11 defensive players to the other sideline to take it to the house. Gerald had 203 carries for 1,900 yards rushing and 24 touchdowns and threw for close to a 1,000.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10% John Blake is recruiting him. Huskers want him as a WR.

• 3 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

Favorites: Committed to Tennessee

To Tenn.

Millwood's Jones commits to Tennessee

Millwood quarterback Gerald Jones verbally committed to play football at the University of Tennessee on Tuesday night. The 6-0, 170-pounder chose the Vols over offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Notre Dame, Florida and others.

“I’ve liked Tennessee since I went down there,” Jones said of his Nov. 3 visit to see the Vols play LSU. “I didn’t think my mom would let me commit. But my heart’s been with Tennessee for the longest.”

Jones singled out his relationship with former Tulsa Washington star and current Tennessee receiver Robert Meacham as one of his main reasons for committing.

“I look up to Robert, that’s like a big brother to me,” Jones said. “He took me under his wing, we clicked right away. I have been hoping Robert Meacham stays another year so he can teach me.”

Jones, ranked as the No. 91 player in the country on rivals.com, will likely play receiver at Tennessee. “They said I can choose (what position I play) and I’m thinking receiver,” Jones said.

The senior said he was drawn to the atmosphere in Knoxville.

“When I first arrived in Knoxville, the first thing that caught my eye was the atmosphere,” Jones said. “There’s not a better place than Tennessee. Everything just felt like I was right at home.” He also loved the opportunity to play in the SEC.

“I push myself to be the best and to be the best you have to play the best,” Jones said. “I think the best is in the SEC. I think it’s the hardest conference in college football, so I can see where my game is at.”