expectations for a coaching hire (whenever one may be required)

beorach

Preface/disclaimer/BS: I waited longer than most to join this conversation, right?  Maybe things will change but I'm looking at things the same way I did in 2014 (and those posts are still around thanks to this swell website we frequent) because, like Bill Moos, I like to be prepared.  Those old posts featured a different methodology, in terms of calculations (don't think I was using z-scores back then), and coaches have changed places but I digress.

Do we need to get a guy to get us back in the top 25 regularly first so we can hire a guy to take the next step or are people expecting Bill Moos to hire the latter immediately somehow?  We're not Kansas but our current state has to affect the process, right?  Hiring a coach is always going to involve some risk but it stands to reason that your program's attractiveness factors in, I mean.  p.s. - Do we need a guy who has multiple full seasons experience as a HC already?  p.p.s. - Can we break the rules and get a great OC and DC with an administrative head coach?  Let's get Joe Moglia, Brett Venables, and <insert greatest OC out there here>...taking care to spend the big dollars on the coordinators (who can bring whomever but the HC has to deal with whomever we can get as far as those coordinators go).  While I'm dreaming, would it be as crazy to think we hire a great OL coach to be our OC?  Michigan State's guy isn't too long in the tooth and they've always impressed.

I know we all discussed another expectation that Eichorst failed to prioritize.  We want our team to run the ball first and see the return of the Blackshirts.  I guess the latter is generic (have a great defense) but the former is no longer the norm.  I have two spreadsheets running now (one with stats from all games between FBS teams and the other from all games between conference teams) and decided to focus only on rushing d, rushing o, scoring d, and turnover margin to figure out what teams out there are the toughest.  The only problem with the data right now (aside from it only being data - ;)) is some teams have only played a couple of conference games to date this season.  The lists are as follows:

All FBS Games Sample Top 25 "Toughest" Teams w/o SOS adjustment

1 Alabama
2 South Florida
3 Notre Dame
4 UCF
5 Ohio State
6 Penn State
7 Georgia
8 Auburn
9 Wisconsin
10 Clemson
11 Washington
12 TCU
13 Miami (Florida)
14 Wake Forest
15 North Carolina State
16 Stanford
17 Kansas State
18 Virginia Tech
19 UTSA
20 Michigan State
21 Michigan
22 San Diego State
23 Duke
24 Oklahoma
25 Appalachian State

Nebraska is 89th by this rationale.

All FBS Games Sample Top 25 "Toughest" Teams w/ SOS adjustment

1 Alabama
2 Notre Dame
3 Ohio State
4 Penn State
5 Clemson
6 Georgia
7 Auburn
8 Wisconsin
9 South Florida
10 UCF
11 Stanford
12 Miami (Florida)
13 North Carolina State
14 Washington
15 TCU
16 Michigan State
17 Wake Forest
18 Michigan
19 Oklahoma
20 San Diego State
21 Duke
22 Kansas State
23 USC
24 Virginia Tech
25 Oklahoma State

Nebraska is 80th by this rationale.

Conference Games Only Sample Top 25 "Toughest" Teams w/o SOS adjustment

1 South Florida
2 Alabama
3 Ohio State
4 Toledo
5 Georgia
6 Fresno State
7 Washington
8 Auburn
9 UCF
10 Clemson
11 Michigan State
12 TCU
13 Florida Atlantic
14 Marshall
15 Rice
16 Wisconsin
17 North Carolina State
18 Boise State
19 Appalachian State
20 Penn State
21 Tulane
22 Southern Mississippi
23 Georgia Tech
24 South Alabama
25 Western Michigan

Nebraska is 100th by this rationale.

Conference Games Only Sample Top 25 "Toughest" Teams w/ SOS adjustment

1 TCU
2 Boise State
3 Clemson
4 Michigan State
5 Tulane
6 South Alabama
7 Charlotte
8 Utah State
9 Toledo
10 Wyoming
11 North Carolina State
12 Georgia Southern
13 Appalachian State
14 Colorado State
15 Florida State
16 Southern Mississippi
17 Stanford
18 Miami (Florida)
19 Texas
20 Wake Forest
21 Washington
22 San Diego State
23 Northern Illinois
24 Wisconsin
25 South Florida

Nebraska is 94th by this rationale.

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Turnovers regress to the mean heavily from year to year due to randomness. They should not be used in any such analysis, despite their impact on wins. They'll just add noise.

I don't know.  Our fumbling problems have largely disappeared (84th percentile using the all FBS games sample) since Bo became a Penguin.  We still aren't forcing fumbles, of course  (15th percentile from same sample).  Queue a point about WR drops...  ;)