Roxy’s Go Big Red Potato Recipes

This is one of my favorite potato dishes to make.  

DO NOT wash an iron skillet in soap or the food you prepare in it will taste like soap!  Just wash in hot water and I wipe it dry using a paper towel.   

Original Ranch Roasted Potatoes:

***Use An Iron-Cast Skillet Only!
**You Can Prepare This Ahead Of Time & Bake When Needed

Ingredients:

2 lbs. Small Red Potatoes, Quartered
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Packet Hidden Valley Seasoning & Salad Dressing Mix

Place potatoes in a gallon size Glad Food Storage Bag and add 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil; seal bag; toss to coat. Add Hidden Valley Seasoning & Salad Dressing Mix and toss again until the potatoes are well coated.

Put 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil in a cast-iron skillet & PLACE SKILLET IN THE OVEN while the oven is pre-heating. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE YOU WANT THE SKILLET HOT BEFORE YOU PUT THE POTATOES IN! 

When the oven has reached 450 degrees, put the potatoes in the skillet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are brown and crisp.

3911ABD3-B05B-4D48-90E9-25B5857DCAC9.jpeg

• Plus1 1

I made a new potato pancake recipe and the potato pancakes turned out great!  

Potato Pancakes:

4 Russet Potatoes-(About 1-1/2/lbs.). I Just Guessed & Used 4 Small To Medium Size Potatoes
3/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1 Egg Beaten
***I Just Put The Egg In A Bowl & Whisked It Real Good
1/4 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
.***I Just Sprinkled In Some Garlic Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
***I Used Ground Black Pepper/Used More
Cajun Seasoning, To Taste
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Coarsely grate the potatoes and put them and the chopped onions in a strainer.
***I used a hand grater and grated the potatoes on a cutting board, then the strainer to save mess!

Press down with the back of a large spoon to extract excess water.

If they are still watery, wrap them in a clean towel and squeeze to extract water.

***I did both to make sure the water was out!

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion and egg; mix well.

Gradually add flour, baking powder, salt-.(I used garlic salt and pepper-(Used ground black pepper-used more); mix well.

In a large skillet over low to medium heat, heat 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil

Using about 1/3 Cup of batter per pancake, add batter to hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan!

*** I used an ice cream scoop!

I sprinkled the top of the potato pancakes with a little Cajun Seasoning.

Fry the potato pancakes for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. 

Flip and sprinkle some Cajun Seasoning on top of potato pancakes; fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.

I put some shredded cheddar cheese on top of some of the potato pancakes and put a lid on the pan to make the cheese melt!

Plate potato pancakes on a paper towel-lined plate.

Put potato pancakes on serving plate.

***I put some Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing on top!

31F3440C-98DE-461A-B8EE-0BD06E55F1F7.jpeg

I made this awhile back for the first time and they were really good!  The only thing I will do different the next time I make them, is use more Taco Seasoning.  I may add some chopped green onions to them too.

1 Pkg. Taco Seasoning

You want enough Russet potatoes to fill your iron-cast skillet.

Wash potatoes; put in cutting board and cut in half, then cut in large chunks.

Put 1/4 cup Olive Oil in a zip-loc bag; add potatoes and Taco Seasoning; shake bag to cover potatoes.  

Put 1/4 cup Olive Oil in an iron-cast skillet; put skillet in oven.  

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

You want the oil hot before adding potatoes.

Once the oven has reached 400 degrees, add potatoes that have been cut in chunks and bake for 40 minutes.

Serve with Hidden Valley as a dipping sauce-(or your favorite dipping sauce.)

F366EDCF-D815-410A-A3A1-2689D6394BA9.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I made these for lunch the other day and they turned out great!  I changed it some.  I sprayed the cookie sheet with Pam.  I used a whole bulb of garlic.  When I put the wedges on, I poured off what oil mixture didn’t stick to the wedges so it wouldn’t make fumes in the oven.  I also put a larger cookie sheet under the cookie sheet that had the wedges on so it would catch any spills from it.  When there was about 5 minutes left of baking, I put some shredded cheddar cheese on top; baked till melted.  When I plated it, I sprinkled some garlic salt and more pepper on top; I put some Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing on top of the melted cheese; sour cream and some cooked bacon bits would be good on top too.  

Link For Recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/baked-chili-garlic-fries-4608993

Pics are before and after the toppings:

D313CB99-21EA-43BC-92AD-1E328248EBA6.jpeg

7C0C77BE-0C7C-40CC-8C23-52F3872D2E44.jpeg