Former U.S. Rep Brad Ashford passes away

I felt this was important to share in its own thread. Brad Ashford was a pretty tremendous public servant for Nebraska and had a significantly positive impact on this state. His reputation for working across the aisle was perhaps more true than just about any other politician I've met. This was particularly evident during his time as the senate judiciary committee chair. I always found his perspective and approach to difficult issues quite refreshing.

And when I was a local reporter years ago, he was almost always willing to talk about any topic and even let me have his personal cell number for those rare occasions that I'd need to bug him for an interview on the weekends.

Brad Ashford remembered for nonpartisanship, working across the aisle

Friends and colleagues say he will be remembered for bringing political parties and opposing camps together on issues, as well as for his boundless enthusiasm and a staunch nonpartisanship.

Earlier this year, after being given his cancer diagnosis, Ashford said “one must never give up hope.’

“There is always hope,” he said. “We have work to do. We need a new attitude. Solutions over politics, our kids deserve that of us.”

In his lifetime, Ashford was a registered Republican, then a Democrat, then an independent, and, since 2013, a Democrat.

• Plus1 2