NU steals OU recruit

Well folks it's been quite a while since I posted. I have been to a number a clinics and camps for job over the past couple weeks. I got to thinking that hell, there's only a few weeks till opening day. Just to let you know, if anyone cares, I wanna get a Big 12 preview out. That would be MY kind of preview, not the fluff in these mags.

As I said I have heard the NU coaches a few times at clinics and I'll get some comments out about that.

But let's get to the immidiate news at hand.

A beautiful headline is plastered on the front page sports of the Lincoln Journal Star today and it reads:

"NU Steals linebacker From Oklahoma"

The kids name: Phillip Dillard

And he's a four star kid from Jenks H.S.

A couple comments.

1. Last Year NU only had 2, 4-star kids. We all ready have that in July.

2. NU has now gone into enemy territory twice and swiped high profile kids from a rival beating out OU, OSU, KState, A&M and Kansas. (He had 17 offeres)

3. According to the article NU has its eyes on another.

I'll be around from here on out, lets get it fired up.

Very nice. Welcome back E-red. like he said, this is huge for momentum in the recruiting wars - especially from a marketing angle. The earlier the better, b/c it gives other kids a chance to consider NU before committing elsewhere and closing the door.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Appears Reg Smith is pretty keen on Blake..

says Nebraska leads slightly over Oklahoma, Ohio State , Kansas State and USC . All have offered.

How long has it been since we have heard THAT from a bluechipper??!! This staff is getting it done. Plain and simple.

Husker/Sooner Showdown?

Allen Wallace - Bucknuts.com

September 2, 2004 at 7:46pm ET

Super Oklahoma FS/WR Reggie Smith (6-0, 192, 4.5) talks about his five favorites. Will the youngster from Santa Fe HS in Edmond be looking for a town that is just the right size...or does he have visions of being a home-town hero?

Oklahoma FS/WR Reggie Smith of Santa Fe HS in Edmond says Nebraska leads slightly over Oklahoma, Ohio State , Kansas State and USC . All have offered.

"I like Nebraska because of (coach) John Blake . He's a big reason I want to go there," says Smith. "He's just a good guy and I know he'll be there for the long run. I went to camp there (6/11) and they really showed how much they wanted me. The coaches were talking about how I could play DB/WR and PR.

"Lincoln is kind of like Edmond…it's not too big and it's not too small. Plus the stadium there is real nice and seems like a good place to play in. They're also showing how much they want me there--they send me a lot of stuff.

"Oklahoma competes every year and are always going to the big games. They want me there as a DB and the corners there do pretty well. It's also about thirty minutes away from where I live and the facilities there are well kept. I went there (8/7) and watched the team scrimmage and I also talked to coaches (Bob) Stoops , (Bo) Pelini (co-def coord/secondary) and (Cale) Gundy (asst coach/RBs). They said that if I go there I could probably play some other positions as well. Coach Gundy said I could be a home-town hero.

"Ohio State likes me as WR and said I would be there go-to guy. Coach (Darrell) Hazell (WR) is a good coach and coach (Mark) Snyder (def coord) is down-to-earth. They said I would also be a great fit as a PR and could be showcased at that position. I went there for a visit in mid-June and watched the team practice. The academics there are real good and get kids where they want to go in life. But I don't know too much about the program there.

"I went to Kansas State the summer before my JR year for camp. They liked me even back then considering how young I was. Coach (Bob) Elliot (def coord/secondary) teaches his players with a different kind of technique. I like that they can compete in the Big 12 and that they're champs right now too. It would be a good place to go.

"USC is right up there at the #1 spot (nationally ranked) and they've got some of the best coaches on their staff in the country. Coach (Todd) McNair (RBs) is easy to talk to, especially about life after college--they prepare you well for life over there. Secondary coach (Greg) Burns teaches good techniques for corners. And there's a lot of stuff out there in L.A. like the Staples Center and stuff like that."

Reggie says he has not thought about where he'll take his official visit but they will probably include these five schools. He will try to make two visits this season as he has two Thursdays off (no games) and will make the rest after the season.

3.4/19 ACT/Oct or Nov retake

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ci...adel&type=story

really making an effort to discover what each school has to offer. He sounds as if he's not going to be dazzled by flash - he wants substance. That has to help NU...

Gotta give it up for that take. You have to wonder how many do that. I wonder if that's why the NCAA took away some of that recruiting from the schools, in hopes that more kids look at what's more important.