Some recruiting comments

I have had the chance to hear a couple of the NU coaches speak a few times over the summer. I recent heard them at the annual coaches clinic at NorthStar H.S. in Lincoln about a week ago.

Coach Callahan spoke and then the sat and listened to the offensive coaches speak. At the end there was a question and answer type thing. One interesting question arose from the discussion that was directed toward recruiting coordinator Scott Downing who was on both staffs. The question centered around different recruiting strategies. "Why does NU seem to be getting more high profile athlete looking to Lincoln?"

This is what I got from it. It appears as though Nebraska has taken a more direct approach with more attitutde. They simply won't back down to any other school. They feel they can get any player in the country. They are more aggressive. No more "nice guy" routine. Where a player says I think I'm leaning toward another school in the past NU said "ok have a good career." That wont happen anymore. Which of course begs the question, why haven't we always done this. It will always route itself back to the head coach.

Norvell is very important to the NU roster. Ican tell why Callahan waited for him. He got pretty personal when speaking about the Raiders and there managment. Norvell will be up in the press box. His job primarily will be to spot the ball for Callahan and give some suggestions, but Callahan does the bulk of the play calling.

Has anyone else heard these coaches?? Any impressions so far? Even if you haven't heard what do you expect?

***SNIP***

Which of course begs the question, why haven't we always done this. It will always route itself back to the head coach.

***SNIP***

I imagine the attitude was, "We want players whose first love and interest was Nebraska". In a way, it makes sense. Less chance that the player will transfer if everything doesn't go his way; less chance of "outside influences" on the recruit; no waste of resources on kids that have to be persuaded - does a school want a kid that has to be persuaded? Also, some kids who grow disatisfied with the school to which they commit might look kindly on a school that didn't pressure them or "blow smoke up their ass".

Unfortuantely, I think those kinds of recruits are now few and far between. The simple truth of the matter is that most kids expect to be courted and wooed. So this is probably a good thing - but I can't fault prior "administrations" for what they did.

I like it. The "N" sells itself. Just like a Porsche salesman, I mean.. ALL car salesmen they are virtually worthless.

Of course Call and co. will be sellin the program like muthers, but like AR said in the end they know what they can get out of NU, so why attempt to artificially entice a recruit who may end up flaking out anyway. in the end a big waste of time for all - I like Cally's style on multiple fronts - no BS you know what youre getting type of guy. Players respect the hell outta that - except overpriviliged overpayed jerkoff NFL playaz apparently..

• 2 weeks later...