"...half of those from Sooners coach Bob Stoops."

Sam's father, estimated that he received 10 phone calls Wednesday lobbying for Oklahoma over Nebraska with half of those from Sooners coach Bob Stoops. But the Cornhuskers made the most sense to Sam, his father said.

DESPERATE LITTLE SUCKER ISNT HE!! :lol:

With regards to OU's violations, you have to remember, their gymnastics and basketball teams both violated NCAA rules, not just the football team. There's a lot more to this story regarding OU's football program than I think the university is saying there is.

I agree.

OU's NCAA fate remains in question

By MIKE STRAIN World Sports Editor

8/24/2006

An investigation into the program's violations may result in sanctions.

The University of Oklahoma's athletic department investigation has produced a pile of evidence as thick as the Tulsa phone book.

Tax forms, payroll records, time cards, interviews and more. More than 500 pages outline OU's quest to get to the bottom of NCAA violations in its football program.

Those violations led to the dismissal of quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn. Both were paid for work they never performed at Norman auto dealership Big Red Sports and Imports.

Now, questions loom:

How much were Bomar and Quinn overpaid?

Only people at the NCAA and within the OU athletic department know the exact figure. In its report, OU explained how it calculated the dollar amounts it believes Bomar and Quinn were overpaid. But those figures were blacked out of the report given to media on Tuesday.

Jerry Bomar, Rhett Bomar's father, said his son was overpaid about $5,000-$7,000, according to a report in The Oklahoman. Attempts by the Tulsa World to reach Jerry Bomar have been unsuccessful.

Among W-2 forms in OU's report, one player was paid $10,439 by Big Red in 2005. The player's

name was blacked out on records OU provided media.

Who is Mark Jones, and why is he a central figure in the investigation?

Jones is the man OU hired to help with the investigation. He spent 18 years with the NCAA, in cluding time as managing director of enforcement. He now works for Ice Miller, an Indianapolis law firm.

Hiring Jones was a smart move, said former Oklahoma State football coach Pat Jones, who once saw a similar hire pay off.

In the late 1980s, Pat Jones' football program faced serious NCAA sanctions. OSU hired attorney Michael Glazier, who supplies services similar to those offered by Mark Jones. The decision to hire Glazier saved OSU from a disastrous NCAA ruling, Pat Jones said.

The NCAA's initial ruling against the Cowboys' football program would have left OSU with a seven-game season -- all of them on the road -- Pat Jones said.

But the ruling was reduced. And though OSU still received stiff sanctions, the NCAA was "pleased with the way (the university) handled it," Pat Jones said. "And it was because we commissioned Glazier."

The decision to hire a man respected by the NCAA will help OU, Pat Jones said. OU's decision to make that hire also shows how serious the school views its infractions.

"When you go get these guys, you know that we're down to real hard ball," Pat Jones said.

Mark Jones has interviewed at least one OU player and two employees at the auto dealership. All three of those interviews were conducted June 21.

What kind of questions did Mark Jones ask the player, whose name was blacked out in the document provided to media?

Mark Jones focused on the hours the player worked at Big Red, how those hours were documented and how much the player hoped to earn.

Although dates were blacked out in the document, it appears the player worked in the summer of 2004 and 2005.

During the interview, Jones asked the same question -- in different ways -- on four occasions: How did the player learn about the job?

The player said he couldn't recall how he was directed to Big Red the first summer. In the second summer, the player said, he had established contacts at the dealership and returned.

When asked if he knew how the dealership tracked actual hours worked, the player said: "I don't remember exactly, um, I know that we told them, you know, and, I think, computer or somethin' like that . . ."

When asked how many hours a week he worked, the player responded: "Um. I don't remember how many I worked a week to tell you the truth . . ."

When the player was asked how much he hoped to earn in a given week, he responded that he had no set figure but wanted "some spendin' money."

What are NCAA secondary violations, and why did OU release them this week?

The NCAA defines secondary violations as "isolated or inadvertent in nature." They provide "only a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage" and don't include any "significant recruiting inducement or extra benefit."

Schools throughout the country routinely report secondary violations. It's part of a compliance department's duties. The NCAA often hands down minor penalties.

In late 2005 and early 2006, OU self-reported violations in multiple sports. None of the violations were related to the auto dealership investigation.

OU released the secondary violations as part of its response Tuesday to open-records requests.

What is working for and against OU as an NCAA investigation almost certainly awaits?

Working in OU's favor: The school apparently has kept the NCAA updated throughout. And swift action was taken in dismissing Bomar and Quinn. That decision drew praise from NCAA president Myles Brand.

Hiring Mark Jones also will help the school's perception with the NCAA.

Working against OU: Lack of oversight regarding athletes working at Big Red.

When Bomar and Quinn were investigated, a financial mess was uncovered. The dealership kept poor records.

And during OU's February investigation of Adrian Peterson's failed attempt to buy a Lexus from the dealer, Big Red management was uncooperative. (OU has since banned its players from working at Big Red, which is now under new management.)

Big Red's former ownership has been cast in a bad light. OU's compliance office could be blamed for failing to monitor a business that employed so many athletes for years.

And men's basketball penalties issued a few months ago could lead to stiffer penalties this time. The NCAA's actions will be watched closely by other schools.

Public perception could compel the NCAA to show its strength by sending a message to a second-time offender.

Our depth at QB is deeper than OU's. Hildebrand, while unproven in D-1, has some college level playing experience. OU's QB's with the exception of Thompson, have very limited, if any, college level playing experience. That's why I think Keller would have had an easier time getting the starting position in '07 at OU.

With regards to OU's violations, you have to remember, their gymnastics and basketball teams both violated NCAA rules, not just the football team. There's a lot more to this story regarding OU's football program than I think the university is saying there is.

Agreed that he most likely would have become the started at OU much easier, however; it is extremely likely that he will be the starter here as well. The main point I was trying to make at NU is the fact that we will have a much better offense returning... with most likely all of our wideouts and running backs, along with half of our offensive line.

Our depth at QB is deeper than OU's.  Hildebrand, while unproven in D-1, has some college level playing experience.  OU's QB's with the exception of Thompson, have very limited, if any, college level playing experience.  That's why I think Keller would have had an easier time getting the starting position in '07 at OU. 

With regards to OU's violations, you have to remember, their gymnastics and basketball teams both violated NCAA rules, not just the football team.  There's a lot more to this story regarding OU's football program than I think the university is saying there is.

Agreed that he most likely would have become the started at OU much easier, however; it is extremely likely that he will be the starter here as well. The main point I was trying to make at NU is the fact that we will have a much better offense returning... with most likely all of our wideouts and running backs, along with half of our offensive line.

Oh I agree whole-heartedly! Our team next year should be phenomenal and probably much better suited to make a run for the NC than they are this year. And I do hope Keller is the tip of the sword leading us to the Promised Land. I just think we got lucky snagging Keller instead of OU and I believe alot of it has to do with the pending NCAA investigation going on at OU.