Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom

10331096_BG1.jpg

Here's the screen capture of the part of the contract on the infractions warranting suspension/expulsion.

His Dad admits to signing something, but also admits he didn't read it all thoroughly. Whoopsie!

They are exploring the possibility of a lawsuit, but I don't think they have a leg to stand on since he signed the contract but I could be wrong.

If the kid's dad did sign an agreement like that then I begrudgingly say that the school is right in what they're doing...regardless of how wrong they actually are.

:dumdum

what sort of brainwashed idiot would even consider that to begin with. Jesus, 'griping' is an expelable offense. And I would argue, that no 'contract' can supersede what the constitution guarantees. As that 'document' clearly tries to do.

10331096_BG1.jpg

Here's the screen capture of the part of the contract on the infractions warranting suspension/expulsion.

His Dad admits to signing something, but also admits he didn't read it all thoroughly. Whoopsie!

They are exploring the possibility of a lawsuit, but I don't think they have a leg to stand on since he signed the contract but I could be wrong.

I'd like to see the rest of that page in context. To see what it refers to. Whether these are things enforced on campus or off too. 'Cause if lying, griping or kissing off campus are all things students can be suspended for....I can bet you that entire school needs to be suspended.

You're preaching to the choir here, but this isn't much different than getting fired or removed from your position for a moral turpitude clause contractual violation that doesn't have to be perpetrated on the job.

I agree this is extreme, but they signed up for this.

10331096_BG1.jpg

If the kid's dad did sign an agreement like that then I begrudgingly say that the school is right in what they're doing...regardless of how wrong they actually are.

:dumdum

what sort of brainwashed idiot would even consider that to begin with. Jesus, 'griping' is an expelable offense. And I would argue, that no 'contract' can supersede what the constitution guarantees. As that 'document' clearly tries to do.

:wtf Constitutional rights, really!!?! This kid isn't being imprisioned, executed or exiled. He's being punished within the community in which these rules apply. That's about the equivalent to breaking the rules at a country club, being kicked out and claiming that you rights have been violated. What exactly is this dad supposed to sue for? What damages have been incurred? The kid will still graduate if he can pass his exams, or does the constitution also forbide the need for that now?

If a priest is screwing the congregants, does the church have the right to toss him? If a salesman is making money on the side by selling the competitors product to it's customers, does that company have the right to fire him? If a pizza deliveryman recomends the cutomers to Godfather's , can Domino's fire him?

These associations are all voluntary by both parties and both have every "right " to disolve the association at any time, when a party fails to do so, they are acquiescing to the confines of their mutual agreement.

Deal with it.

And you would be wrong. A written contract, regardless if one party is getting absolutely screwed, is binding.

As far as your "Constitution" argument... :wtf It's been a while since I've read the Constitution but I'm pretty sure it's relatively silent on contract law.

As for what I put into blue...

Apparently one who doesn't thoroughly read the contract he's signing and agreeing to... :dumdum

I'm not much of a legal person...but I think maybe we need to stray away from the words "contract" and "legally binding". I think the thing they signed is more a code of conduct. Correct me if I'm wrong, but minors are not allowed to enter into binding contracts.

The school's principal even states on his website that students signed a "statement of cooperation." This includes 7th-10th graders.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but minors are not allowed to enter into binding contracts.

You're wrong, with some exceptions. But it's all the other guys in my family who are lawyers - not me, so I'm sorry I can't give you specific examples of exceptions. I'm sure state and local regs have some differing specifics.