Nebraska number 4 in Athlon's 2018 B1G roster rankings

lo country

2 hours ago, yort2000 said:

They targeted these kids 2-3+ years ago, I would say most were probably committed at least before the season started.  They pretty much had their whole class signed on the early signing day.  Did they add just 1 after the early signing period (Wildgoose, a 4 star)?  And, part of the DNA of that program is signing lower rated TEs, QBs, RBs and turning them into OTs and LBs that play like 4 - 5 star recruits.

You are seeing the effects of the 13-1 season in the 2019 recruiting class as they are having 4 stars commit early and often.

Every program targets kids years in advance, so I'm not sure what that proves or disproves. I'm not trying to be rude, rather, looking for enlightenment.

Nebraska's 2018 class was significantly bolstered by the results of a completely different program and largely put together in two months. Why do we look at Nebraska's result and say 'job well done' but look at Wisconsin and say 'well, you won't see the 2018 dividends pay off until 2019 plus it happened because of reason x, y and z.' That feels contradictory to me.

As for their program's DNA, that's sort of my point (as mentioned previously). I assume their goal is to make the CFP and compete for championships. Not a single program has accomplished what they hope to accomplish with recruiting rankings that low in the modern era. That's not to say they couldn't but the data suggests they're shooting themselves in the foot.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:03 PM, Enhance said:

Every program targets kids years in advance, so I'm not sure what that proves or disproves. I'm not trying to be rude, rather, looking for enlightenment.

Nebraska's 2018 class was significantly bolstered by the results of a completely different program and largely put together in two months. Why do we look at Nebraska's result and say 'job well done' but look at Wisconsin and say 'well, you won't see the 2018 dividends pay off until 2019 plus it happened because of reason x, y and z.' That feels contradictory to me.

As for their program's DNA, that's sort of my point (as mentioned previously). I assume their goal is to make the CFP and compete for championships. Not a single program has accomplished what they hope to accomplish with recruiting rankings that low in the modern era. That's not to say they couldn't but the data suggests they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Their class was pretty much full before 13-1 existed.  So, they didn't have any way to capitalize off of it.  Nebraska's class was fairly empty with plenty of room to capitalize off of the Frost buzz.

Wisconsin has used what I would call realistic recruiting.  They don't waste resources on highly sought recruits that they don't realistically have a shot of getting.  They also have a model for identifying high school TEs, RBs, and QBs that can develop and play like 4-5 star OTs and LBs.  So, they were using their normal recruiting "template" for the 2018 class and those kids committed early.  They have ventured out a little from their "norm" for the 2019 class trying and succeeding at capitalizing off of the 13-1 season.

Edited by yort2000