Injuries piling up!!!

Alright, what the hell is going on here?!? This is getting a little ridiculous. Thoughts???

Lincoln -- The Nebraska football team resumed its two-a-day practice schedule Monday afternoon with a two-hour workout in shorts and shoulder pads on the FieldTurf of Memorial Stadium. The morning practice, also held in Memorial Stadium, was performed in full pads.

Injuries have begun to pile up for the Huskers, as several players were unavailable for the morning session of the second of five two-a-day practices scheduled for fall camp.

Lornell McPherson, Daniel Bullocks, Brandon Teamer, Corey McKeon, Lydon Murtha, Seppo Evrawaye, Jordan Adams, Kevin Luhrs and Isaiah Fluellen all missed practice with a variety of injuries.

The high number of setbacks is not out of the ordinary, according to Head Coach Bill Callahan.

“It’s common,” Callahan said. “Everybody’s going through the bumps and bruises right now. We’re no different. Every team in America is grinding through training camp, working hard and trying to overcome injuries.”

Meanwhile, I-back Tierre Green and receiver Mark LeFlore both returned to action after missing practice last week.

In other news, Callahan praised the progress of true freshman quarterback Ryan Goodman, who took snaps with the second-string offense during much of practice.

“He’s really a bright kid,” Callahan said. “He has an excellent grasp of the (offensive) system. He manages the offense well. I was telling him yesterday as I was coming off the field this system is really complex, and for him to come in here and be able to manage it, be able to communicate all the idiosyncrasies is really impressive.”

Nebraska continues fall camp Tuesday afternoon with a 2:45 p.m. practice

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...00&ATCLID=68980

Yeah that was my thought initially... but the names just seem to keep on comin. I know BC is supposed to be a real freak for details, but could it be possible that him and his staff are trying to do too much all at once, and this is the effect? Or maybe this falls on the players - incorporating an entirely new system bears a heavy burden, and some could be overwhelmed with learning it & as a result some of the more fundamental aspects are slipping, which could be leading to stupid injuries. Maybe that is over-analysis, but hell thats what good fans do, so Im doing it. :)

Are the injuries significant, or are they mostly strains and such? If the latter, I wouldn't worry - no matter how well a person trains in the off-season, getting into pads (adding an additional 30 or 40 pounds to your weight) will be a shock to the body. In addition, off-season training - except for a few special type players - will never be as intense or rigoruous as actual practice, when you're not only having to push yourself but to also push around someone else.

If this kind of thing happened at the start of fall practice each year, then I would think the off-season programs would have to be examined. Are players following it? Should the types of training be "tweaked".

Also, players have to learn to play through some degree of hurt. It could be that the coaching staff, with all the learning that has to take place, isn't asking players to "suck it up" as much because the coaches are more concerned with having the players learn and having them available for the games.

yeah true i think most are just common football stuff. but if this begins to happne during the season and theyre significant then the fingers will be pointing at callahan for not preparing the right way. i guess it cud be b/c of info overload tho you are right. we will see, hopefully its just a precaution move like AR said.