Should Athletes get college credit for sports??

How the hell could Perlman NOT know about this??? <_< Come on HP get your head outta the sand!!

Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman also seemed unaware that athletes at his school were being given academic credit for physical-conditioning courses tailored for their sports. "I think it's something the institutions need to look at, and we are looking at it," Perlman said.

Many of the universities that boast the nation's most recognizable and successful football programs offer participation credits in football and other sports. Brigham Young, Florida State, Georgia, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State, all winners of a football national championship during the past 25 years, also have similar policies in place.

The University of Iowa and University of Nebraska, among other schools, allow student-athletes to apply the credits from participation courses toward their degrees.

According to records obtained from Nebraska, 31 student-athletes were enrolled in former Cornhuskers coach Frank Solich's football class during fall semester 2003. Nebraska didn't release the grades of the students enrolled in the class, saying the grades couldn't be disclosed "due to the relatively small number of enrollees and the grade distribution in these courses, the disclosure of such grades is 'information that would make the student's identity easily traceable' and is prohibited by the Federal Educational and Privacy Act of 1974."

This is nothing new and not that huge of a deal. The thing that bugs me is Perlman and Brand's response. Typical suits.

If the Presidents deny this, then how the heck are athletes expected to actually accumulate hours? Given the amount of time spent in meetings, practice and film review, and the inability to schedule classes to fit around those athletic requirements, it is nearly impossible to maintain progress toward graduation without them.

And what the heck is so different about these hours and, say, a phys ed course???

If it is a class that anyone can enroll in, then ANYONE should be able to enroll. Simple as that. I took a relaxation class in college. Saying that athletes shoudn't get the credit is like saying I shoudn't get the relaxation credit because I already spend half my time relaxing. :) Dumb.

Such a tough topic. On one side you have the athlete bringing in lots of money to the University, trying to take classes, practicing several hours a day, lifting weights, every move watched on and off campus versus getting their UNIVERSITY education paid, getting free meals, and being treated to tutors and hands on academics. Very difficult to say whether or not to allow this or for them getting paid.

Such a tough topic. On one side you have the athlete bringing in lots of money to the University, trying to take classes, practicing several hours a day, lifting weights, every move watched on and off campus versus getting their UNIVERSITY education paid, getting free meals, and being treated to tutors and hands on academics. Very difficult to say whether or not to allow this or for them getting paid.

I don't see anything about getting paid to play in this thread. :huh:

• 10 months later...

Especially at NU players need to be paid a suitable salary. And all of this should be based on cost of living. What about in So Cal, someone at UCLA can't be paid the same amount as someone in Lincoln.

Guys, its not a big deal, they get one credit per semester if they want to take it, for a total of 8 possible credits. When you need 126 to graduate, it doesnt really make a difference, so its not a big deal. I go to class for three hours a day, study for one, and sit on my ass for the other 20, so im not gonna complain about a guy who does that and about 5 hours of football a day.

Angle is ok, although it's a much broader take on what is occuring with athletes. Are athletes being taken advantage of. But as far as the class, yes I certainly beleive they should be given credit for those as classes.

They are being taken advantage of. I'm not saying pay them 1k a week, but $250.00 is enough.