The 'Necks have a knack for knocking off giants..

Blackshirt

WIU Notes, 9/2: Patterson has a knack for knocking off giants

Western Illinois' Don Patterson is the only active Division I-AA coach with four wins against I-Ateams in the last five years. The Leathernecks are 4-3 in those contests, defeating Northern Illinois in 1999 and 2002, Ball State in 2000 and Eastern Michigan last season.

"We have to be sure that after (Saturday's)game we can say we played well. If we play well I'm not that concerned about the score, because if we play well, the score will be competitive " Patterson said at his weekly media luncheon. "That's the mentality we have going into the game.

WIU's Division I-Alosses under Patterson came to LSUlast season, South Florida in 2001 and Missouri in 2000. The Leathernecks, who have played at least one I-Afoe each year since 1993, are 0-3 all-time against Big 12 Conference opponents. In addition to the Missouri game (50-20), they lost to Kansas State 27-6 in 1990 and 35-7 in 1986.

"If at the end of (Saturday's)game we come out without any major injuries, and we find a way to gain confidence in how we play, then I'll be comfortable with the score whatever it might be," Patterson said.

BEHIND CENTER: Western is replacing quarterback Russ Michna, a two-time Gateway Conference Offensive Player of the Year who threw for over 3,000 yards during both his junior and senior seasons. Senior Adam Smith, who started 12 games at Duke as a sophomore and graduated from the prestigious institution in the spring, has been penciled to start on Saturday. The Leathernecks also will throw sophomore Steve LaFalce into the mix.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/09/02...ra/10054564.txt