The Outside Zone Run

The link:

Cowboys rally from 16-0 deficit to stun Huskers

"We looked at them on tape and noticed that teams that tried to run between the tackles had a lot of problems," OSU offensive coordinator Larry Fedora said. "We felt like we could get the edge on them - and we did."

Believe I saw USC running it on us during that game fairly effectively. Watch out. We don't fix that and everyone will run that on us the rest of the year.

On a side note--why is it we seem to stink in the 3d quarter? For those who say play calling a problem--look at execution first. Lots of dropped passes. Main coaching issue I am scratching my head about is taking BJAX out and putting in Lucky. BJAX was on fire. Granted OSU made adjustments to shut down the run and that's why we had to pass...and when your receivers aren't catching, offense sputters.

BC abandoned the run too early in the initial drive. It would have set the tone for NU, instead it allowed OSU to think the could (and did) stop NU. When you drive the filed in four plays and then for no apparent reason go to the pass, and then run passs routes that don't get the necessary yardage, that's coaching, not players.

As far as linebackers, this is also the fault of the coaching staff. First, everyone in football knows NU has weak secondary. Now, whenever they through, they through against the corners. Why do you play your corners ten yards soft when the oppononets need 5 yards for a first down? That's coaching.

And as for stopping the run, OSU ran the same dang play time after time after time. We did nothing to adjust. When we did try to adjust, they just countered in the opposite direction with equal success.

This loss was a let down after the hard faught UT loss. I think the coaching staff allowed the team to take this group for granted and weren't mentally prepared. That's coaching. Remember, these are young men, between the ages of 18 and 23 mostly. They need leadership from the sidelines. The need to be instilled with a confidence that they can make the palys when necessary. After OSU went up, there was a visible slump in NU. They would lethargically walk to the line of scrimmage. They were mentally beat.

Sorry but I think that's coaching.

My penny's worth.