Callahan checking NU oil, but won't overhaul engine

Tom Shatel: Callahan checking NU oil, but won't overhaul engine

BY TOM SHATEL

WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

First downs and second guesses:

What did Bill Callahan do during the Huskers' bye week? Hint: He wasn't following the Ohio State-Michigan telethon.

"I've spent a lot of time the past eight days looking at why we have struggled in the second half of games," Callahan said. "That's really bothered me. We've done some good things, but we've fallen short. I think we may have found some things."

What did Callahan find?

"You'll see," the coach said with a smile.

Apparently, the theory that Callahan does not make halftime adjustments, or can't adjust from his scripted game plan, was not among the findings.

"I look at myself, sure," Callahan said. "But I think too much is made of adjustments.

"It's not like you go in at halftime and come up with a whole new game plan. Games are usually declared in the first quarter, the first 25 plays of the game. You can get a good look at how the offenses and defenses are going to play. It's not like you're going to go in and flip your whole game plan, tear it apart and come up with something new.

"I know people like to make a big deal about halftime adjustments, but you really don't see people change what they do that often. A lot of times people play better. You may jump on them early and they feel an urgency. Players pick up on things, too. Players are smart. They see things and they make adjustments out there. A lot of times, that's what you see."

But don't head coaches or coordinators make little adjustments, moving a player here or there to shut down a play that's killing them?

"Sometimes," Callahan said. "But there are very few surprises out there, where all of a sudden somebody starts using a magical formation. You see those (adjustments) occasionally, but not to a high percentage."

Gee, all these years, I guess I've been giving coaches too much credit.

• If Nebraska doesn't win the Big 12 football title and go to the Fiesta Bowl, look for the Huskers to play in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1. For two reasons:

1. The Gator Bowl covets Oklahoma. Two out of the four years of its Big 12 contract, the Gator can move up and select ahead of the Cotton in the Big 12 pecking order. There is an outside chance OU could get picked up as a BCS at-large team. If two Big 12 teams (Texas and OU) are in the BCS, the Gator drops down in the selection order and the Cotton goes first.

2. The Cotton wants Nebraska. The opponent, according to a source in the Cotton Bowl office, would be LSU.

"I look at myself, sure," Callahan said. "But I think too much is made of adjustments.

"It's not like you go in at halftime and come up with a whole new game plan. Games are usually declared in the first quarter, the first 25 plays of the game. You can get a good look at how the offenses and defenses are going to play. It's not like you're going to go in and flip your whole game plan, tear it apart and come up with something new.

"I know people like to make a big deal about halftime adjustments, but you really don't see people change what they do that often. A lot of times people play better. You may jump on them early and they feel an urgency. Players pick up on things, too. Players are smart. They see things and they make adjustments out there. A lot of times, that's what you see."

This makes sense

"I've spent a lot of time the past eight days looking at why we have struggled in the second half of games," Callahan said. "That's really bothered me. We've done some good things, but we've fallen short. I think we may have found some things."

What did Callahan find?

"You'll see," the coach said with a smile.

I certainly hope so Bill......