trick plays vs. the Puffaloes

np_husker

I loved watching the trick/special plays unfold on Friday, but I have to admit it's a bit concerning that we had to dig deep into the playbook and use those plays against a two win team. Did this bother any of you?

I was very impressed with the second half ....we have been putrid all year in the 3rd quarter and I was stoked to see us get 20 points in the 2nd half......all play are trick plays by the way......so who cares how we do it

I loved watching the trick/special plays unfold on Friday, but I have to admit it's a bit concerning that we had to dig deep into the playbook and use those plays against a two win team. Did this bother any of you?

No, not at all. That's not really how it works.

NU has been prepared to run those plays for weeks. The opportunities to use them finally happened.

but I have to admit it's a bit concerning that we had to dig deep into the playbook and use those plays against a two win team

don't know how much they actually "had to" dig for those plays. 1st and 10, 4th and 1 situations, they had more choices there that just trickery, they just chose to go with the fun plays instead of the *normal* stuff IMO.

BC said something to the effect that those kind of plays get the team goin' a little bit, so why not? I think they were just having fun with the Puffs.

As for the HB pass. what is this "its old" stuff?! if it keeps working, who cares! The Lucky/Herian play worked in as much as Herian was wide open for 6, Lucky just didn't hit him.

It also gives the D.C. of whoever we play from here on out something else to waste time in practice on. Not only do they have to prepare for the running atttack and the passing game, but they have to spend some time on the gadget plays and special teams. I think BC did a good job of clouding up what we might do.

Of course a person could come back and say well if we wouldn't have used those plays then the other team would not be ready for them. maybe BC used those plays to set up other plays. This team is fun o watch.

I suspect another reason we saw so many trick plays is that we had the CU defense confused and you might as well take advantage of it by creating more confusion. I don't think we could get away with it so easily with OK, for example. I was surprised CU didn't call some timeouts when they saw strange goings on in the offensive lineups.

I suspect another reason we saw so many trick plays is that we had the CU defense confused and you might as well take advantage of it by creating more confusion. I don't think we could get away with it so easily with OK, for example. I was surprised CU didn't call some timeouts when they saw strange goings on in the offensive lineups.

That might be a benefit to Callahan in the Big 12 Championship. If he comes out with a funky looking lineup, that might force OU to blow a key timeout when they really didn't want to burn one. I say we pull out the swinging gate this week and see how OU responds.

I think the trick plays came out not because "we needed" em or "had to dig deep" to beat Cu but to give our opponent in the Big 12 game something to worry about. OU's DC will have to take that into consideration now knowing we've used trick plays several times and with great success. I do think Cally has other trick plays in his book and we'll see those this Saturday if the opportunity arises.

On another Huskers forum, someone said Callahan actually talked to the Refs about the trick play when Taylor walked away to make sure it's legal. I guess there's something in the rule books about unfair deception or something like that. He wanted to make sure it would be legal when we ran it