Why Aren't You Guys Recruiting This Kid?

There's no politics in not offering Gritton. While Brent is one helluva heady player ande he has superb instincts for the game and you will not find anyone that tries harder than he does, he still doesn't have the explosiveness that NU is looking for. His side-to-side speed just isn't that good.

If he was two-tenths faster, the kid would be an All-American, but he's not and speed kills and not having it kills you.

That's the only downside to Gritton, but it's a pretty significant downside.

So is the 4.67 40 time inaccurate? If not, isnt that good enough for a D1 Pocket QB? I would think so. .. but he must just not have those quix. :zoom

Once Brent gets going, he can close the distance fairly fast, but his sheer explosiveness just isn't what it needs to be, to be a top flight LB prospect. Alabama has offered him, so they see something, but I don't care who you are, speed and quickness is easy to see on film and Brent just doesn't have enough of that right now.

Once Brent gets going, he can close the distance fairly fast, but his sheer explosiveness just isn't what it needs to be, to be a top flight LB prospect. Alabama has offered him, so they see something, but I don't care who you are, speed and quickness is easy to see on film and Brent just doesn't have enough of that right now.

lol, I'll take Alabama's word over yours.

I agree with you Stevie. Speed kills, and a lack of it kills you. 15-20 years ago, it wasn't nearly as crucial to have speedy linebackers. After the glory years of 10 years ago, I think those guys showed us how much better a defense is with 4.4-4.5 speed at the linebacking position. A player who was given a scholarship from my neck of the woods, Ryan Terwilliger, is an excellent case in point. He was a big stout player, but he was extremely slow. He started a couple of games his junior year until Terrell Farley finally got the spot. Farley was extremely fast and made the defense a lot better. When Farley got suspended the next year, Terwilliger stepped in again and started in his absence. The defense just wasn't the same as Arizona State walked all over us. I saw a Tight End actually outrun him.

I believe Shanle is another example. He was big and stout, but he just didn't have the speed. I realize some consider him a great player, but I never really thought much of his play. When a linebacker can't cover a Tight End, you need to find another linebacker.

I agree with you Stevie. Speed kills, and a lack of it kills you. 15-20 years ago, it wasn't nearly as crucial to have speedy linebackers. After the glory years of 10 years ago, I think those guys showed us how much better a defense is with 4.4-4.5 speed at the linebacking position. A player who was given a scholarship from my neck of the woods, Ryan Terwilliger, is an excellent case in point. He was a big stout player, but he was extremely slow. He started a couple of games his junior year until Terrell Farley finally got the spot. Farley was extremely fast and made the defense a lot better. When Farley got suspended the next year, Terwilliger stepped in again and started in his absence. The defense just wasn't the same as Arizona State walked all over us. I saw a Tight End actually outrun him.

I believe Shanle is another example. He was big and stout, but he just didn't have the speed. I realize some consider him a great player, but I never really thought much of his play. When a linebacker can't cover a Tight End, you need to find another linebacker.

shanle is in the pros and was fast as heck supposedly in high school.