Biggest flop in Husker history?

HuskerBob

Some of my biggest flops actually played quite a bit, and I'm sure I will get blasted for listing them.  However, these guys were just terrible in my opinion. 

1.  Broderick Thomas - Other than having a big mouth and falling on the pile after

the tackle was made, he would have never even been     

heard from.  He was mediocre at best.

2.  Terry Rogers - Granted, he did get hurt.  However, I don't think he lived up to

his hype.  I realize it is difficult for a son of a Nebraska Great to

ever get out of the shadow, but he didn't even come close.

3.  Scott Baldwin - He was a mental case from day one, and he never was a very

good tailback.

4.  Doug Deboise - I think that's how you spell his name.  I remember hearing all

these great things about him, but he never played.  I think he

may have been injured, but I think most of his problems came

from steroid use.  It was always rumored that is why he never

played.

5.  Mike Grant - In my opinion, he was the worst quarterback to ever wear the red

and white.  He couldn't pass, he couldn't run the option, he was

just bad.

I don't think that Mike Grant was the worst quarterback. I think that Lord would have to be one of the worst. He may of had a bunch of yards but he was a horrible passer and never pitched the ball.

Your crazy. Lord was a great player. Probably the best runner we have ever had at qb. He wasn't a good passer but neither was frazier. Lord threw a very good deep ball. If you think about it he was the only weapon on offense until late last year when ross evolved. He didn't have no ahman, or no great pipeline.

Some of my biggest flops actually played quite a bit, and I'm sure I will get blasted for listing them.  However, these guys were just terrible in my opinion. 

1.  Broderick Thomas - Other than having a big mouth and falling on the pile after

the tackle was made, he would have never even been     

heard from.  He was mediocre at best.

2.  Terry Rogers - Granted, he did get hurt.  However, I don't think he lived up to

his hype.  I realize it is difficult for a son of a Nebraska Great to

ever get out of the shadow, but he didn't even come close.

3.  Scott Baldwin - He was a mental case from day one, and he never was a very

good tailback.

4.  Doug Deboise - I think that's how you spell his name.  I remember hearing all

these great things about him, but he never played.  I think he

may have been injured, but I think most of his problems came

from steroid use.  It was always rumored that is why he never

played.

5.  Mike Grant - In my opinion, he was the worst quarterback to ever wear the red

and white.  He couldn't pass, he couldn't run the option, he was

just bad.

I don't think that Mike Grant was the worst quarterback. I think that Lord would have to be one of the worst. He may of had a bunch of yards but he was a horrible passer and never pitched the ball.

Your crazy. Lord was a great player. Probably the best runner we have ever had at qb. He wasn't a good passer but neither was frazier. Lord threw a very good deep ball. If you think about it he was the only weapon on offense until late last year when ross evolved. He didn't have no ahman, or no great pipeline.

He was considered a great runner cuz of all the yards he had. If he would of pitched the ball on the option play a few times then he wouldn't have as many yards. He could not throw the ball for sh#t. He would get lucky on the deep ball every now and then, which would improve his stats, but he couldn't hit a guy running a simple square out or square in. Plus, on any passing down, he would look at his primary reciever and if he didn't throw it to him, then he would pull the ball down and run for his life (rushing stats inflated). The coaches knew he couldn't throw the ball and thats why if we ever had a 3rd and long last year the only play that we called was the quarterback draw. I can't believe that you would put him as the greatest of all time. sh#t, Frazier was 10 times the quarterback that Lord every wanted to be. Crouch was better than Lord, Gill was better, Berringer was better. I could go on and on but Lord isn't even worth my typing.

• 9 months later...
Mickey Joseph

Agree, he tried, but it didin't work out

I agree gamecock. He would get lucky on deep balls every once in a while. But there were also many times where he would have a receiver open by 5 yards and throw it over his head. With lord it was hit and miss. It is too bad the coaches didn't see sooner that he sucked as a passer and was an excellent runner. He would have made a damn good I back. I realize that his jr & sr. year we were really thin at qb. The years he played we were really lacking in that stud i-back department. He could have been a great one. Lord was by no means the biggest flop of all time though. He didn't have the best talent around him, and I feel was playing out of position. Imagine this scenario, Sr. Lord at I back and Fr. JD at qb running the option attack.

If you also include husker flops in the pro's you can also consider eric crouch even though he was very successful at NU. What are some of the other flops by huskers in the pro ranks?

What about Calvin Jones from the early 90's. I remember I was at the game against kansas where he rushed for some 300 yards and had 5 or 6 tds. He left aftr his Jr. yr. I think he was drafted by the raiders, but never heard much about him. Same with the rb. before him. Brown I believe. I cant remember i was young then. He also left after his jr. year and had a very quiet pro career if one at all.

If you also include husker flops in the pro's you can also consider eric crouch even though he was very successful at NU.  What are some of the other flops by huskers in the pro ranks?

What about Calvin Jones from the early 90's. I remember I was at the game against kansas where he rushed for some 300 yards and had 5 or 6 tds. He left aftr his Jr. yr. I think he was drafted by the raiders, but never heard much about him. Same with the rb. before him. Brown I believe. I cant remember i was young then. He also left after his jr. year and had a very quiet pro career if one at all.

He got a Super Bowl ring with the Packers...on special teams...apparently he was a pretty decent special teams player, but nothing more. Nice guy, though...interviewed him once right before he was drafted, and was very amicable.

If you also include husker flops in the pro's you can also consider eric crouch even though he was very successful at NU.  What are some of the other flops by huskers in the pro ranks?

He got a Super Bowl ring with the Packers...on special teams...apparently he was a pretty decent special teams player, but nothing more. Nice guy, though...interviewed him once right before he was drafted, and was very amicable.

Didn't know he was w/ the packers. A sb ring is more than a lot of players can say

1. Broderick Thomas - Other than having a big mouth and falling on the pile after the tackle was made, he would have never even been heard from. He was mediocre at best.

He was a Freakin All American twice. I believe in 87-88 or 88-89. He lettered Four years at NU. He also holds the record at NU for the most unassisted tackles in a season(career total also) for a DE. I think it said he had 53 out of his 98 tackles that were unassisted. That 98 total tackles is also a DE season record. He also holds the DE season(career total also) record for Fumble recoveries and Tackle for loss yardage. He had 11 sacks one year and he is #12 in total tackles at NU. I don't understand how you could call the Sandman a flop. He is agruably one of the Best DE to play at NU.(Probably only behind Trev and Wistrom)

He was considered a great runner cuz of all the yards he had. If he would of pitched the ball on the option play a few times then he wouldn't have as many yards. He could not throw the ball for sh#t. He would get lucky on the deep ball every now and then, which would improve his stats, but he couldn't hit a guy running a simple square out or square in. Plus, on any passing down, he would look at his primary reciever and if he didn't throw it to him, then he would pull the ball down and run for his life (rushing stats inflated). The coaches knew he couldn't throw the ball and thats why if we ever had a 3rd and long last year the only play that we called was the quarterback draw. I can't believe that you would put him as the greatest of all time. sh#t, Frazier was 10 times the quarterback that Lord every wanted to be. Crouch was better than Lord, Gill was better, Berringer was better. I could go on and on but Lord isn't even worth my typing.

Lord was 100X better than the crack smoker we had behind center last year. Dailey was HORRID! Now I understand he was taken out of his element and thrown into an offense he had no idea how to run, but he got worse and worse every game. Lord was a major reason we won 10 games in 03. He couldn't pass, but that's not what he was recruited to do. Dailey was recruited to be somewhat of a passer and he couldn't hit sand in Iraq.

For a little more recent flavor I'd have to go with either David Horne or Curt Dukes. In the midst of the 7-7 campaign and Horne was called out of his redshirt he did some damage. The T A&M game in particular he had a stellar 2nd half. Nothing really materialized after that, and only in the 2nd Half of the CU game last year doing I even remember hearing his name.

Dukes on the other hand was supposed to be the savior of NU football at the time. The kid had more hype than anyone in recent memory and he never even stepped on the field. I haven't kept up with his stats at Duke, but maybe he and Dailey can get some sort of ex-Husker qb rivalry going.

If you also include husker flops in the pro's you can also consider eric crouch even though he was very successful at NU. What are some of the other flops by huskers in the pro ranks?

Trev, Bruce Pickens, Johnny Mitchell, and Mike Booker were all flops. Trev was never the same after his injury at NU. Mitchell should have stayed in schoola and the other two just weren't very good.

For a little more recent flavor I'd have to go with either David Horne or Curt Dukes. In the midst of the 7-7 campaign and Horne was called out of his redshirt he did some damage. The T A&M game in particular he had a stellar 2nd half. Nothing really materialized after that, and only in the 2nd Half of the CU game last year doing I even remember hearing his name.

Dukes on the other hand was supposed to be the savior of NU football at the time. The kid had more hype than anyone in recent memory and he never even stepped on the field. I haven't kept up with his stats at Duke, but maybe he and Dailey can get some sort of ex-Husker qb rivalry going.

I think I heard he was the FB at Duke? He's listed as QB on ESPN's roster, but I read in the paper late last year he was competing for starter at FB.

LP anyone? I seriously believe he was one of the most talented running backs ever to play the game. Too bad he could never get his head out of his a$$ to really shine.

David Horne is one that I agree with...you dont hear of many guys that get worse as they progress in college. He went from a freshman star to an upperclassman nobody!

I would agree with Curt Dukes, but I don't count him because he wussed out and left.

1.  Broderick Thomas - Other than having a big mouth and falling on the pile after the tackle was made, he would have never even been heard from.  He was mediocre at best.

He was a Freakin All American twice. I believe in 87-88 or 88-89. He lettered Four years at NU. He also holds the record at NU for the most unassisted tackles in a season(career total also) for a DE. I think it said he had 53 out of his 98 tackles that were unassisted. That 98 total tackles is also a DE season record. He also holds the DE season(career total also) record for Fumble recoveries and Tackle for loss yardage. He had 11 sacks one year and he is #12 in total tackles at NU. I don't understand how you could call the Sandman a flop. He is agruably one of the Best DE to play at NU.(Probably only behind Trev and Wistrom)

So dam true newearth. holy nazi-popes that ws one of the worst suggestions ive ever heard!! :lol::wacko::o:dumdum