Lost Theif

Irregular News for 12.29.06

Boca Raton, FL -- Claude King carjacked an SUV on Glades Road and made it all the way to Palm Springs before his conscience apparently caught up with him Tuesday night, police said.

Having crashed the stolen GMC Envoy twice and gotten lost, King, 31, went to a pay phone at Second and Congress avenues and dialed 911.

"Um, I committed a crime," he told the dispatcher. "I stole a vehicle."

When the dispatcher asked his name, King sighed and said, "I'd rather do this: Could you just send the police over here?"

Where's the stolen car? The dispatcher asked.

"I couldn't even tell you," King said. "I don't even know where I'm at."

Palm Springs officers found him sitting on the curb, Lt. Mark Hall said.

About an hour earlier, King dashed up to Caroline Funkey's black SUV - which was carrying Funkey, 19, and four of her friends as they readied for a night on the town - and shattered the driver-side window.

He threw the driver to the street, jumped behind the wheel and begun swatting at the other passengers, Funkey recalled.

"He punched me in my face," said Funkey, of Tequesta, adding: "He's soft. He didn't hurt me at all."

One of Funkey's friends, 18-year-old Kellina Beach, hit her head on the street as she leapt from the SUV and had to get stitches at Boca Raton Community Hospital, Funkey said.

King, who lives in Plantation, sped down southbound Interstate 95 in Funkey's SUV, a police report said. After hitting a white Chevrolet pickup, he turned around and headed north, eventually smashing into another car and pulling off in Palm Springs, Hall said.

Boca Raton police arrested King and, after taking him to the hospital for an injured right hand, brought him to the Palm Beach County Jail, where he was being held without bail Wednesday night.

source

Irregular News for 12.29.06

Boca Raton, FL -- Claude King carjacked an SUV on Glades Road and made it all the way to Palm Springs before his conscience apparently caught up with him Tuesday night, police said.

***SNIP***

"I couldn't even tell you," King said. "I don't even know where I'm at."

***SNIP***

I have a sneaking suspicion that the call was prompted far more by the fact he was lost than by is "conscience"...