kriewald out

Benard

Todd filled in well.  There were holes plus he caught two passes, I think

one catch for 4 yards! yippee!

Well thats better than the opposing team catching on of Daileys balls.

if we wouldn't throw so many 4 yard passes we might have something. Do some roll outs and bootlegs, possibly a play action or two????????????

Lets just give the ball to Ross, He can produce. Our offensive players on the field right now came here to run the football, thats what they do. WHy don't we do it more.

Because Callahan don't care if we win or lose, he just wants to run his beloved west coast offense.

Lets just give the ball to Ross, He can produce. Our offensive players on the field right now came here to run the football, thats what they do. WHy don't we do it more.

Because Callahan don't care if we win or lose, he just wants to run his beloved west coast offense.

How is a coach gonna not care if his team or loses? That idea is ridiculous.

Well Bill needs to show that he cares about a victory in his play calling. If we have success running the football why would you start throwing the ball when you have the lead and are known for throwing interceptions. It does not take a brain surgeron to know what to do. Though maybe we should get one to stand on the sideline and help Bill out.

Because him and steve p. are butt buddies along with jim rose so he knows he isn't going to get fired. He knows he can use the excuse that they aren't his players. He is use to the Nfl where losing happens. This is not a pro team. He is not use to winning ways where if you lose it's life or death for us.

Because him and steve p. are butt buddies along with jim rose so he knows he isn't going to get fired. He knows he can use the excuse that they aren't his players. He is use to the Nfl where losing happens. This is not a pro team. He is not use to winning ways where if you lose it's life or death for us.

That's takin it a bit far man. I know you don't like the whole deal but damn, you make it sound like there is some grand conspiracy to just make a bunch of money and drive the football team into the ground and ride away into the sunset.

I haven't heard the term butt buddies for a while. Thanks for the flash back to high school.

I've said it before and I will say it again, everyone who has half a brain knew this year had a large chance of being ugly. Looks like it's starting to come true.

haha. Like Jim Rose has any say in whether nor not someone at Nebraska keeps their job.

Oh and by the way, Saturday still goes in the W column.

Come on Dave. Just like Benard took it too far one way, you took it too far the other way. At the beginning of the season, yes everyone knew this would be a tough year. However, most everyone thought we'd be 4-0 before the L's started piling up as we started playing the better teams. Other than whooping up on a Division 2 school, every game has been a challenge. The most disgusting thing is even in the game we lost we pretty much dominated the other team.

If Callahan is really interested in winning games, why in the world did he start throwing the ball so much in the 4th quarter? Ross had all but 30 some yards of the rushing yards, but he only got 19 touches. He was averaging over 5 yards a carry. When Dailey threw his second interception, go back to the run.

If Callahan is more interested in getting his WCO in place, then pull the redshirts off the freshmen. I think we all know that Dailey won't be playing near as much next year. If the growing pains really have to occur by implementing the WCO, then let's get the freshmen wet behind the ears this year so we don't have two years of mediocricy. Jackson and Green had better be getting on the phone with other teams this offseason because the hand writing is on the wall. We won't even run the ball when running is working and passing is not. What do we think we will do when passing begins to work?

A real coach does what is necessary to win. Right now, we're not doing that. I'm not saying we're trying to lose, but the coaches are putting us into positions that make it more possible to lose. I know our defense is good, but how long will it be before we get into a mess like we did a couple of years back at Penn State. You cannot have the defense on the field for 3 out of 4 quarters and expect them to stop everyone. The offense can and does work right now if we allow it to. I can understand passing more and trying new things when you have a comfortable lead, but we never had a comfortable lead Saturday. If we have a couple more debacles like Saturday against better teams, we'll get slaughtered.

At the beginning of the year, I went through all the teams on our schedule pegging wins and losses. Now, I think I was just a little too positive. Games with Baylor and Iowa State are now all of a sudden looking a lot more like maybe's.

Come on Dave. Just like Benard took it too far one way, you took it too far the other way. At the beginning of the season, yes everyone knew this would be a tough year. However, most everyone thought we'd be 4-0 before the L's started piling up as we started playing the better teams. Other than whooping up on a Division 2 school, every game has been a challenge. The most disgusting thing is even in the game we lost we pretty much dominated the other team.

If Callahan is really interested in winning games, why in the world did he start throwing the ball so much in the 4th quarter? Ross had all but 30 some yards of the rushing yards, but he only got 19 touches. He was averaging over 5 yards a carry. When Dailey threw his second interception, go back to the run.

If Callahan is more interested in getting his WCO in place, then pull the redshirts off the freshmen. I think we all know that Dailey won't be playing near as much next year. If the growing pains really have to occur by implementing the WCO, then let's get the freshmen wet behind the ears this year so we don't have two years of mediocricy. Jackson and Green had better be getting on the phone with other teams this offseason because the hand writing is on the wall. We won't even run the ball when running is working and passing is not. What do we think we will do when passing begins to work?

A real coach does what is necessary to win. Right now, we're not doing that. I'm not saying we're trying to lose, but the coaches are putting us into positions that make it more possible to lose. I know our defense is good, but how long will it be before we get into a mess like we did a couple of years back at Penn State. You cannot have the defense on the field for 3 out of 4 quarters and expect them to stop everyone. The offense can and does work right now if we allow it to. I can understand passing more and trying new things when you have a comfortable lead, but we never had a comfortable lead Saturday. If we have a couple more debacles like Saturday against better teams, we'll get slaughtered.

At the beginning of the year, I went through all the teams on our schedule pegging wins and losses. Now, I think I was just a little too positive. Games with Baylor and Iowa State are now all of a sudden looking a lot more like maybe's.

Now that we are successfully extremely off topic..... :)

I am having a hard time disagreeing with that. I have never been this close to a team and have it go through a change like this. If you want the change to be permanent and effective over more than a year, don't you have to stay the course? Not just revert every time the water gets choppy?

I really think this is going to pay off and I am sticking to that. I have the patience where many people here don't. I know we suck now. That's obvious. If this new system doesn't pan out in a couple years, I will gladly admit to being wrong.

I would like to see more running called now that the team has shown it's inexperience with the WCO. I think that Callahan is too worried about banging up his players, namely Ross, kinda like they are in the Pro's. I don't really like that attitude, but hey, I am not the coach and that's why we have messageboards :).

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

I tend to agree with Dave - Callahan is trying to implement the full West Coast offense. While he doesn't want losses - he also knows that the longer he allows the teams to remain predominately run-orientied, the longer it will take to implement the system.

As for the freshmen/redshirts - I would guess the thinking is to not waste their eligibility on what is going to be a learning/growing year. Let them get acclimated to the system, then play them. And there is no telling whether Joe will or will not be playing much next year - this system is the kind in which a quarterback has to develop. As I said in another post, the light may suddenly come on for Joe, and he could very well be the quarterback for the rest of his eligibility.

Trite as it may be, you can't make an omlet without breaking eggs. This system is going to take some time to develop - or for the players to develop in it. In particular, it is quite demanding on quarterbacks - they have to quickly and accurately read the defense and go to the open man. Joe's problem is that he isn't working through his progressions, so far as I can tell. That's a technique that will take time for him to develop.

But the coaches don't really have a choice. Yes, someone else could be ready next year - but it's also possible that no one will. If you simplifiy the offense too much this year, or don't put in the full package at some point this year, and no other quarterback emerges next year, then everyone would be wishing that Joe had spent as much time in the full package this year as possible.

That's takin it a bit far man. I know you don't like the whole deal but damn, you make it sound like there is some grand conspiracy to just make a bunch of money and drive the football team into the ground and ride away into the sunset.

I haven't heard the term butt buddies for a while. Thanks for the flash back to high school.

I've said it before and I will say it again, everyone who has half a brain knew this year had a large chance of being ugly. Looks like it's starting to come true.

haha. Like Jim Rose has any say in whether nor not someone at Nebraska keeps their job.

Oh and by the way, Saturday still goes in the W column.

The game does go in the win column. But I think that everyone would of liked to see us put up at least 10 more points on the board. We could of easily of point up at least 14 if not 21 if we would of stuck with what worked rather than throwing the ball in the fourth quarter. We need to be smarter with our play calling.